Details: $17-$19 per hour DOE
634 South Spring Street
In response to the current crisis of family separation, detention and need for legal representation, ImmDef is now hiring additional legal and administrative staff. Reporting to the Program Strategy Manager (PSM), the Paralegal is primarily responsible for legal support for ImmDef Staff Attorneys and Managing Attorneys. The Paralegal is also responsible for providing case support for one or both Co-Legal Directors as needed.
1. Provide case planning and development
2. Conduct legal research, fact gathering and retrieving information
3. Prepare declarations, draft and analyze legal documents and forms, and collect and manage data
4. Submit electronic and in-court filings
5. Fulfill records requests
6. Conduct client screening and intakes
- Strong organizational skills;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem solving;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under pressure required;
- Spanish language fluency required and will be tested at time of interview;
Required Education and Experience
- Must have a BA or paralegal certificate, and/or at least one to three years of experience as a support staff working under the supervision of an attorney;
- Experience working in a start-up non-profit and/or at a public interest law firm is helpful;
- Strong writing, research, and organizational skills required;
- Enthusiasm for working at a progressive, start-up organization
- Passion for social justice for immigrants required
- DACA Recipients encouraged to apply!
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience with deportation defense is a plus;
- Experience working with minors or persons suffering from mental competency issues is a plus;
- Experience with family, dependency and probate court is a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to work within a high-volume, busy law office is a plus;
Classification and Work Schedule
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Work schedule will be Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., with flexibility required based on the needs of the organization.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
$17-$19 per hour DOE + generous benefits package, including health and dental coverage, sick and vacation time, 12 paid holidays a year, and one-week paid winter break between Christmas and New Year's Day.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish proficiency is required and will be tested at time of interview.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email resume, cover letter, at least two references, and brief writing sample (5 pages or less) to Jobs2018@immdef.org. Please write LASTNAME_firstname_ParalegalApplication in the subject line. Only those applicantsselected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.
ImmDef believes in second chances. As an organization, we will rely on individualized assessments in the hiring of those with past criminal convictions. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for a position fighting for our immigrant communities!
Immigrant Defenders Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.