Details: Applicants must include salary requirements
1220 Fifth Avenue
@ 104th street
The Museum of the City of New York celebrates and interprets the city, educating the public about its distinctive character, especially its heritage of diversity, opportunity, and perpetual transformation. Founded in 1923 as a private, nonprofit corporation, the Museum connects the past, present, and future of New York City. It serves the people of New York and visitors from around the world through exhibitions, school and public programs, publications, and collections.
The Museum of the City of New York is seeking a smart, hardworking, detail-oriented, energetic, and experienced Manager of Retail and Visitor Services to lead its Museum shop, online store (shop.mcny.org), visitor ticketing, and customer relations.
Reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer, this position will manage operational and customer service aspects of the Museum’s shop and online store. Maintaining profitability of store operations, inventory, and cost control are prime goals. The Manager will lead a staff of 15-20 part-time employees and must have excellent leadership, sales, organizational, and interpersonal and communication skills.
· Meet or surpass monthly and annual sales goals
· Develop, manage, and stay on budget
· Recruit, train, and develop staff
· Direct and motivate staff to ensure excellent customer service
· Communicate the vision, business strategy, and brand to store staff
· Identify business opportunities, resolve issues, and execute business strategy
· Supervise and maintain efficient daily operations, including accounting processes and reconciliations, ordering merchandise, receiving merchandise, stocking out of merchandise, processing invoices, and online order fulfillment.
· Must be able to work closely with Museum buyer/product developer.
· Must be able to ensure Museum buyer’s plans for merchandising and display are properly and consistently implemented.
· It is expected that the manager will spend at least 30-50% of their time on the sales floor working directly with customers and staff.
· Able to sell memberships and encourage staff to achieve or surpass membership sales goals.
· A minimum 5 years of experience in retail management, with a museum or non-profit background highly preferred.
· Proven success in achieving and maintaining retail sales goals while staying within budget.
· Proven success managing and leading a dedicated staff.
· Able to analyze and report on sales and inventory, including profit and loss, trends, and inventory turns.
· Strong merchandise/visual presentation skills are essential.
· Detail oriented and able to maintain database and inventory integrity.
· Proven success in merchandising, updating, and managing an online retail site.
· Must have the ability to provide a high level of customer service to all levels of internal and external customers.
· Strong organizational skills.
· Proven ability to handle a diverse workload and multiple priorities.
· Must be a TEAM player and ready to jump in when needed.
· Must be able to work collaboratively with various Museum departments.
· Bachelor's degree preferred.
· Proficient with MS Office programs.
· Experience with POS and Inventory Management Systems.
· Experience with Counterpoint strongly preferred.
· Experience with Blackbaud Altru a plus.
Schedule: Tuesday – Saturday, must be flexible and able to work various evenings, holidays, or provide emergency coverage as needed.
The Museum of the City of New York is committed to fostering a collaborative and respectful work environment with a staff as diverse as New York City and the audiences who are curious about learning more about its history and engaging in contemporary urban issues. Our staff members are dedicated to working towards a common goal: creating the most dynamic and inspiring city museum in the world.
The Museum of the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer. As such, the museum provides equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants without unlawful discrimination with respect to age, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender identification, marital status, military status or veteran, national origin, political association, political/personal convictions, predisposing genetic characteristics, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, geographic location, philosophies, or any other classification protected by federal, state or local laws, in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, promotion, demotion, transfer, lay-off, and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. All employment-related decisions are based solely on relevant criteria including training, experience, and suita
Excellent benefits package, including a defined benefit pension plan as well as a 401K savings plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume with cover letter and salary requirements to the Museum of the City of New York, Attention: Human Resources Department to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be considered, please include Manager of Retail and Visitor Services within the subject line of your email.