Director, Strategic Initiatives
San Francisco, CA
Who are we?
Tipping Point Community works to break the cycle of poverty for individuals and families in the Bay Area. Since 2005, Tipping Point has raised more than $200 million to support the 1.3 million people in the Bay Area who are too poor to meet their basic needs. We do things differently. We leverage the resources and expertise of our community to invest in solutions that prevent poverty: a nurturing early childhood, strong education, gainful employment, and stable housing. We are laser-focused on metrics and hold our partners and ourselves accountable for results. Our Board covers 100% of our costs, so every dollar donated goes where it’s needed most.
Tipping Point’s core values are at the heart of everything we do and we look for individuals who share our commitments:
- We are one community. We believe that the responsibility for fighting poverty belongs to all of us.
- We serve. Our approach is humble and respectful. We exist to meet the needs of others.
- We get results. We are relentless in the pursuit of our goals. We hold ourselves and each other accountable.
- We are always learning. We are risk takers. We commit to facing our challenges as we support solutions that last.
What will you do?
Tipping Point seeks a dynamic and entrepreneurial Director, Strategic Initiatives to build and lead this newly created team, as well as help define what strategic intiatives look like at Tipping Point moving forward. The ideal candidate is an experienced strategist and seasoned leader in developing and implementing programs or initiatives, and is passionate about changing the landscape of poverty in the Bay Area. S/he is knowledgeable about the public sector and systems, but is also a fast learner, intensely curious and able to master new domains quickly. S/he is particularly skilled at building and engaging partners across multiple stakeholder groups to bridge differences and drive towards a common goal. S/he is both strategic and tactical, able to create the high-level vision for the initiative, as well as manage the day-to-day execution. The Director will serve as an ambassador of Tipping Point, representing the organization to partners, grantees, donors and others. This position reports directly to Chief Program Officer and will ultimately oversee a team of two to three.
- Work with Tipping Point’s grantmaking team, senior leadership and board to identify and assess new potential initiatives
- Establish short- and long-term strategies, build timelines and budgets, and articulate desired impact and create a framework for evaluating progress along the way for each initiative
- Both oversee and execute on day-to-day efforts of the initiative
- Engage partners internal and external to Tipping Point to inform work, build buy-in, and get results
- Effectively communicate strategy, progress and impact of strategic initiatives to internal and external stakeholders including donors and key supporters
- Build, manage and develop team of two to three; establish and hold team accountable for annual performance goals and support identification of professional development opportunities to expand skills and competencies
Who are you?
- You are both strategic + tactical. You are able to create the high-level vision for an initiative, as well as manage the day-to-day execution.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity. You can cope with uncertainty and risk, adapt easily to change, and make decisions using the information you have – even if that isn’t the whole picture.
- You are a leader. You lead by example, inspire others to act, and empower those around you.
- You are passionate. Passionate about the issues, your role, our impact, or anything else. That passion energizes you.
- You are an effective communicator. You tailor communication to meet the needs of various stakeholders and actively listen to those around you.
- You invest in people. You recognize you are part of a whole. You learn from others, teach those around you, and truly care about the people you work with.
Nice to have*:
- Experience with change management at growing organizations
- Experience working in an intermediary setting
*“Nice to have” really means just that; it’s entirely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
Ready to change your life? Apply now!
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Tipping Point will consider qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Minimum Education Required