Director of Institutional Advancement
Rising for Justice is seeking an experienced non-profit professional fundraiser with marketing and communications experience to lead its Institutional Advancement team. This member of the organization’s senior leadership team will be responsible for substantially increasing and diversifying revenue streams, enhancing the professionalism of the development and communications operations, and expanding the Institutional Advancement staff.
About Rising for Justice
Created in 1969, Rising for Justice, formerly known as D.C. Law Students in Court, is the oldest clinical teaching program in the District of Columbia. Rising for Justice currently operates as a public interest legal services provider and clinical education program. Our mission is to leverage the collective force of students and experienced advocates to promote the principles of equal justice for low income and indigent D.C. residents.
Much of our work is focused on fighting eviction and displacement; we also represent people seeking to clear criminal records and individuals seeking family stability. The need for our services is greater than ever given the COVID-19 pandemic’s enormous and disproportionate impact on our client community.
Rising for Justice embraces equal justice and diversity as core values. We strive to maintain a workplace that is vibrant, welcoming, innovative, and collaborative. We are committed to fostering the thoughtful exchange of ideas and to ensuring that all voices are heard and respected. We seek a Director of Institutional Advancement who embraces our mission and values. Our commitment to diversity, inclusion, and non-discrimination includes race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, personal appearance, genetic information, political affiliation, marital status, family responsibilities, disability, status as a veteran, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law or regulation.
Development Responsibilities include:
● Developing annual fundraising plan, including dollar goals, that will further the organization’s strategic priorities;
● Developing annual revenue budget. Ensuring organization meets revenue goals by overseeing three of four revenue streams (event fundraising, individual giving, and grants); collaborating with Executive Director and clinical staff on the fourth revenue stream, law school tuition;
● Overseeing Celebration of Service annual fundraising dinner, which raised $600,000 in 2019
○ Recruiting Host Committee of fundraising volunteers comprised of legal leaders such as General Counsels and Law Firm Managing Partners;
○ Overseeing direct solicitations and volunteer efforts to solicit gifts from law firms, corporations, and individuals; and
○ Overseeing event logistics and planning, including relationship with hotel if event is in person and creating program elements (i.e., speeches, videos, etc.) of in-person or virtual event.
○ Building pipeline of new foundation support;
○ Overseeing existing foundation relationships, including applications and reporting; and
○ Ensuring internal monitoring of and compliance with all grant requirements.
● General Fundraising:
○ Improving annual giving program with new emphasis on building a major giving pipeline;
○ Developing effective stewardship program for donors, including arranging donor visits with Executive Director, other organization or program leaders and/or on own;
○ Supervising Institutional Advancement staff and any consultants hired to assist with development and communications deliverables; and
○ Serving as a member of the organization's senior leadership team.
Communications Responsibilities include:
● Overseeing Rising for Justice’s website and social media accounts (i.e., Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn);
● Actively communicating with and engaging current donor base;
● Managing brand standards and external voice, including all marketing collateral;
● Developing national network of alumni as donors and friends of the organization; and
● Increasing Rising for Justice’s exposure in the press.
The successful candidate must:
● be committed to the mission of Rising for Justice;
● have strong written and verbal communication skills;
● have at least 5–7 years’ fundraising experience, including a proven track record of securing major gifts;
● have demonstrable experience securing grant support;
● show consistent attention to detail; and
● have strong ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and elevate issues as necessary.
The ideal candidate will also:
● have a J.D. and/or experience in fundraising in the legal service provider context; and
● have experience overseeing social media and other digital communications platforms.
Accountability: Reports to the Executive Director.
Director of Institutional Advancement
Rising for Justice is seeking an experienced non-profit professional fundraiser with marketing and communications experience to lead its Institutional Advancement team. This member of the…
This is a full-time position based on a 40-hour work week. Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer an excellent benefits package, including employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance; generous sick, annual and personal leave; and paid federal and local holidays.
This is a full-time position based on a 40-hour work week. Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer an excellent benefits package, including employer-paid medical, dental…
Each candidate should submit a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com. Please indicate “Director of Institutional Advancement, [your full name]” in the subject line of the email.
Each candidate should submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Director of Institutional Advancement, [your full name]” in the…