Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
Americans for Immigrant Justice (AI Justice), a not-for-profit legal services organization founded in 1996 to protect and promote the basic human rights of immigrants, has a multicultural and a multilingual staff. AI Justice has represented clients from around the world and is recognized as a powerful advocate and national leader for immigrants' rights. AI Justice works closely with traditional civil rights groups as well as grassroots organizations and local, state and national government officials to affect positive change in immigration policies.
AI Justice seeks a staff attorney to work fulltime with AI Justice’s Detention Program. Job responsibilities include: Providing “Know Your Rights” presentations and legal screenings for detained immigrants, documenting detention conditions, legal representation in immigration proceedings before the Immigration Court; appellate proceedings before the Board of Immigration Appeals; proceedings before the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and engaging in advocacy with local and national partners on behalf of detained immigrants. The staff attorney will represent clients seeking immigration benefits and relief from removal before the immigration court, including asylum, cancellation of removal and release from immigration custody. The staff attorney also will be required to conduct legal screenings of detained immigrants to determine eligibility for legal relief and representation by AI Justice, provide advice and counsel to detained immigrants, and comply with other program reporting.
- Preference for experience in immigration law, including experience with detention, asylum, and criminal law as it relates to immigration consequences
- Preference for experience working with domestic violence victims and/or other victims of trauma
- Strong writing, research and analytical skills; strong communication and group leadership skills
- Interest in policy advocacy at the local and national level
- Excellent presentation skills for community outreach, education and training
- Ability to work independently and under pressure
- Ability to work well with people of diverse educational, cultural and professional backgrounds
- Experience with immigration and/or legal clinics in law school would be especially helpful
- Fully bilingual, including reading and writing, in English and Spanish required
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must be willing to travel to remote detention facilities throughout Florida
- Must be willing to submit to an extensive background check, including FBI, statewide repository, and sex offender registry checks
- Membership in good standing of any state bar.
AI Justice offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fully bilingual, including reading and writing, in English and Spanish required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com. Please write DETENTION PROGRAM STAFF ATTORNEY in the subject line. You may also mail your resume to Human Resources, Americans for Immigrant Justice, 3000 Biscayne Blvd., #400, Miami, FL 33137.
Interviews: Top candidates will be invited to interview. AI Justice is an EOE/AA employer and encourages women and minorities to apply.
Application deadline: Open until filled