High School College and Career Readiness Teacher
- Job posted by Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
294 Avenue T
An Invitation to Excellent Teachers and Leaders To Apply for the Position of
High School College and Career Readiness Teacher
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
About Coney Island Prep
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously. Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its three schools, including 300 scholars in kindergarten – fourth grade at the elementary school; 360 scholars in fifth – eighth grades at the middle school; and 350 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school. Coney Island Prep High School has proudly sent 100% of our graduating class to the college of their choice for the second year in a row. This was the result of the tireless work of our teachers and students at all three campuses who prove everyday that our scholars’ dreams will not be denied.
The mission of Coney Island Prep is to prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a supportive and structured school community.
There is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the core. It’s high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. And neither would you. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our educators work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need teachers who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity along the way.
What We Have to Offer
There are plenty of ways you can make an impact. And our team is all in. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a challenging day to helping you grow professionally. And while the environment can be fast paced and ever-changing, you’ll have all of the technology and caffeine you need to get the job done.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters degree and NY State certification preferred
- Experience in program coordination, college partnerships and/or summer program outreach is strongly preferred
- Two or more years of highly successful teaching or counseling experience in a school serving primarily low-income students is preferred
- Passionate and completely dedicated to Coney Island Prep’s mission and a steadfast belief that all students deserve an excellent public education in preparation for HS and college
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team of colleagues
- Professional demeanor, strong work-ethic, detail-driven work style with excellent organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and lead by example
Overview and Responsibilities
- Coney Island Prep Charter High School seeks an outstanding 11th Grade College Counselor to foster and grow a college going culture, specifically with scholars in their 11th Grade year. The 11th Grade College Counselor will be hired by the Executive Director and Dean of College, and will report to the Dean of College.
- Teach engaging, rigorous and relevant lessons on college readiness, access, and success
- Ensure that scholars have at least 15 colleges of best fit on their college lists by the end of their Junior Year
- Work with scholars to draft multiple options for Personal Statements for college applications
- Create academically rigorous college readiness lesson plans, materials, and assessments, and differentiate as needed in order to ensure that CIPHS juniors score an average of 1070 or above on the SATs, including the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and Math Sections.
- Work with the College and Operations team to plan a smooth administration of both the PSAT and SAT annually.
- Ensure that 100% of scholars participate in meaningful college trips, summer programs, and volunteer experiences. He/she serves an integral role to the mission of the school, working closely with the College Team to decrease the opportunity gap by guiding scholars and families through the college trip, summer program, and volunteer opportunity process.
- Plan and execute meaningful and appropriate college trips for scholars in grades 9 – 12, including the end-of-year, overnight visits for juniors
- Create college visit lesson plans
- Create staff and scholar expectations for college visits
- Work with the operations staff to create a minute-by-minute agendas for college visits
- Build and maintain the Career Awareness program
- Plan and execute the Career Fair and career awareness visits
- Work with the operations staff to create a minute-by-minute agendas for Career Fair and career awareness visits
Benefits and Compensation
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep School, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package.
- Staff members are provided with a MacBook Air and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in their work.
Interested applicants should go to http://coneyislandprep.org/careers/career-opportunities to apply for available jobs. Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability. We want Coney Island Prep to be a place where students and staff of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities feel as though they feel valued and can excel.
Minimum Education Required