Details: Salary is determined by Legal Services NYC Collective Bargaining Agreement
105 Court Street
*This position is at Brooklyn Legal Services*
Brooklyn Legal Services seeks a Social Worker to join its housing practice. The position will primarily be working in either its downtown or Bedford-Stuyvesant offices.
Brooklyn Legal Services, part of Legal Services NYC, provides high-quality, innovative representation to address the pressing legal needs of Brooklyn’s diverse low-income population. BLS focuses on the problems that have the greatest impact on our clients — preserving affordable and decent housing, maintaining income support, redressing abusive lending and consumer practices, promoting family stability and mitigating the effects of domestic violence, and advocating for the disabled.
Our housing practice focuses on preserving affordable housing in Brooklyn for low- to moderate-income tenants, with the goal of staving off gentrification and preventing the displacement of communities—particularly communities of color—that have anchored Brooklyn neighborhoods for generations. We achieve this goal through a blend of individual defense work and systemic affirmative litigation. In addition to the thousands of Housing Court proceedings we defend individual tenants against every year, we also actively seek out opportunities to protect buildings from deregulation by combating fraudulent MCI and IAI applications at DHCR, challenging rent overcharges in Supreme Court, bringing group HPs against landlords to obtain repairs for tenants, and filing affirmative litigation based on the FHA, ADA, and State and City Human Rights Law to stop racist and other discriminatory practices by landlords. We have deep ties to tenant organizing groups in the communities we serve and work hand-in-hand with them to ensure that our practice reflects the needs and desires of these communities.
Experience and Qualifications
The Social Worker will be responsible for working with people who are at risk of eviction. Responsibilities will include:
· Providing case management support to individuals and families at risk of eviction and displacement;
· Providing psychosocial assessments for individuals with a wide range of mental health and psychosocial concerns to assist clients access necessary services and supports, or for the purpose of determining litigation options;
· Appearing in court and testifying on behalf of clients, with their consent, regarding psychosocial assessments;
· Providing emergency counselling, crisis intervention and referrals to culturally appropriate services to address client needs;
· Identifying and establishing relationships with social, medical and other services needed to assist our clients;
· Advocating on behalf of our clients to access public benefits, social services and medical care; and
· Conducting home visits to clients to assess housing conditions, assess client needs and provide case manage assistance.
· A demonstrated passion for social justice and a commitment to working with low-income communities and communities of color to advance equity;
· Master of Social Work degree, New York State license, preferred;
· SIFI certified, preferred;
· Familiarity with New York City (NYC) institutions and social service systems;
· Experience providing client advocacy related to housing and benefits, preferred;
· Experience providing short term counseling and crisis intervention;
· Experience conducting psychosocial assessments;
· Outstanding organizational, planning and time management skills;
· Excellent interpersonal skills;
· Outstanding communication, research, and writing skills;
· Skill with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, internet research and a willingness to learn and adapt to new technologies; and
· Fluency in Spanish, or another language spoken in the communities we serve, preferred.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to email@example.com. Please write “Housing Social Worker” in the subject line of the email.
Salary and benefits are determined by the LS-NYC Collective Bargaining Agreement. Legal Services NYC is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people, and people over the age of 40 are strongly encouraged to apply.
Benefits include excellent health and dental insurance, an employer contribution to a pre-tax 403(b) pension plan, and generous leave time.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish, or another language spoken in the communities we serve, preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Housing Social Worker” in the subject line of the email.
Position available: immediate; please review full job notice for position requirements, experience and qualifications