Founded in 1999, BUILD’s mission is to use entrepreneurship to ignite the potential of youth in under-resourced communities and equip them for high school, college and career success. BUILD’s unique program offers students a four-year entrepreneurship experience designed to develop 21st Century Skills and motivate student engagement in school. Starting in 9th grade, BUILD students work with their peers and community mentors to develop business ideas, pitch to funders and launch real businesses. As students journey through high school and continue to grow their businesses, BUILD helps them explore college and career options, and assists students with the college application process. Entrepreneurship is the hook – college, career, and life success are the goals.
BUILD currently serves approximately 2,000 high school students annually at programs located in the San Francisco Bay Area, Washington DC, New York City and Boston.
BUILD believes in the potential of every student and is dedicated to breaking down the educational, economic and social barriers that stand in the way of their long-term success. The remarkable young men and women whom we serve are at the center of everything we do. We are intentional about our culture so that we can best support them. Our culture thrives by embracing diversity, equity and inclusion, including cross-cultural understanding. We work in a collaborative environment where flexibility, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit are encouraged and celebrated. Kindness, empathy and respect are at the forefront of the way we treat each other, our students, our teachers and our supporters.
Working under the supervision of the National Director of Impact and Organizational Learning, the Senior Learning Experience Designer (SLED) oversees all of BUILD’s instructional design which includes mapping our programmatic impact and evaluation. The SLED is responsible for the overall development of BUILD's multi-year curriculum and digital products. The Learning Experience Designer is the driving force behind our digital product creation, and has the creative vision, project management, curriculum evaluation, and communication skills to work with multiple stakeholders to successfully develop products that advance BUILD's mission.
The ideal candidate is an analytical thinker and can set strategy for measuring and tracking impact. The SLED has led work, including research/evaluation design and digital content creation that includes gamification of curricula, data collection, data analysis, and data visualization that leads towards creating a data-driven culture. This person is also skilled in designing and creating culturally-responsive curriculum in blended learning environments. Digital fluency is a must as BUILD is developing a full suite of virtual learning tools.
The Sr. Learning Experience Designer exhibits leadership, knowledge and understanding as it relates to the fields of entrepreneurship, identity formation, youth development, and workforce learning. The Director walks through life with an active social justice lens and has a demonstrated knowledge of culturally-responsive pedagogy and anti-bias education.
Instructional Design and Curriculum Development (75%):
- Utilize human-centered design practices to continually update BUILD’s materials and product offerings with a specific focus on using technology for assessments and proving learning impact
- Scope, design, and develop learning content, including assets and assessments that are both teacher-driven and student-driven for in-person, blended, and digital environments
- Discover and Innovate: partner with business stakeholders to understand program goals and define the learning solution that will make their programs successful
- Design and Develop: create performance-focused training content that engages our learners, ensuring content is ready for localization and deployment in various marketplaces including in schools and Community-Based Organizations
- Design and Develop: create outstanding learning tools, performance support aids, practice tests, online tutorials, and other materials to meet identified needs, that seamlessly weave education into entertaining products and evaluation includes elements of gamification
- Project-based learning with a focus on student agency and engagement
- 21st Century Skills, including ISTE standards and the Common Core Standards
- Anti-bias/social justice K-12 education pedagogy and trends
- Design Thinking framework
- Design and Develop: create tests, quizzes, and other assessments to ensure learner understanding and performance
- Deliver Results: manage your projects amidst ambiguity, competing priorities, and challenging deadlines
Primary Job Functions Impact and Evaluation (25%):
- Ensure that all sites execute BUILD’s core program with fidelity by tracking National and local metrics in relation to BUILD’s strategic plan and KPIs
- Liaise with Regional Executive Directors, Program Directors and other key team members on program implementation, results and ensure the sharing of best practices across the organization
- Manage the Salesforce Database Administrator. Offer support and guidance on BUILD’s use of the Salesforce platform to track and manage programmatic data.
- Serve as a resource, advocate and thought-partner with program-area teams and individual program staff on program implementation; help focus teams to drive to outcomes
- Demonstrate an understanding of equity and its role in all aspects of data, research, and analysis
- Research and share across the organization emerging trends and best practices in the fields of entrepreneurship, education, youth development, mentoring and workforce development
- Master’s degree preferred. BA or BS degree in education or youth development, or related field and 10 years experience required in the field
- Minimum 3 years successful teaching experience (preferably with under-resourced youth or in underperforming schools)
- Experience with entrepreneurship education and experiential education preferred with a focus on digital learning and technology
- Demonstrated ability to write engaging, student-centered and pedagogically-sound curriculum (preferred)
- Experience with visual design in Adobe Creative Suite, PowerPoint and other software used for developing engaging training experiences
- Experience designing and delivering training focused on the use of Salesforce as a performance management and program evaluation and improvement platform preferred
- Experience creating systems and processes to support collection, analysis, and reporting of data for program and organizational learning
- High cultural competence with experience serving diverse populations and students from
- 10% travel for regional and national gatherings; school visits to each partner school at least four times a year, as conditions allow
Successful candidates will demonstrate BUILD’s Core Values and competencies through a combination of previous education/work experiences:
BUILD’s Core Values:
- Keep Students at the Center - As BUILDers, we hold an unwavering passionate commitment and belief in the power and potential of youth. Our organization exists to serve students. We seize each opportunity to contribute to the foundation of knowledge, skills, and networks from which students can build extraordinary lives. Our operating principles and decisions focus on what is in the best interest of our students.
- Bring the Spark - As BUILDers, we excel in the entrepreneurial Spark Skills that we teach our students - Communication, Collaboration, Problem Solving, Innovation, Grit and Self-Management. We communicate through transparent and honest dialogue. We cherish teamwork, tenacity, and thinking outside the box. We demonstrate a relentless pursuit of excellence and approach work with a positive can do attitude. When we bring the spark we achieve great things together, and we model the way for our students.
- Bridge Communities - As BUILDers, we develop and foster relationships in service of creating access and opportunities for our students, staff, and stakeholders. We value all who come to the table as partners to maximize our collective impact. By connecting the communities in which we work, we build empathy, equity, and social capital.
- Promote Diversity and Social Action - As BUILDers, we understand that Diversity, Equity and Inclusion matters, but what matters even more is Action. We strive to create equity of voice, access, influence and power across lines of difference – both in and beyond BUILD, specifically for groups that have been historically denied social and economic justice. If we are not part of the solution, then we are part of the problem. We welcome, celebrate, and embrace the unique expressions and contributions of us all – our backgrounds, race, ethnicity, gender, language, sexual orientation, and social class.
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following competencies through a combination of previous education/work experiences:
Role Specific Competencies:
- Problem Solver – identify and/or anticipate a problem, analyze the situation, offer an appropriate range of recommended solutions, and when appropriate, decide on and implement course of action. A self-directed learner who is internally motivated and resourceful.
- Establishing Focus - Develop and communicate goals in support of the business' mission.
- Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis - review quantitative and qualitative data sets in order to recognize patterns, identify additional information or data needed, and draw conclusions
- Project Management Skills – identify the steps of a project, set appropriate deadlines, identify required participants, and hold self and others accountable to outcomes and deadlines
- Influencing Others - Gain support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
- Teaching and Public Presentations – develop and deliver presentations to audiences of varied sizes with appropriate content, tone and timing in delivery
- Full Time/Exempt
- Location: Remote with potential for in-office in a Hub region - Boston, MA, Washington, D.C., New York City, NY, Oakland, CA, Redwood City, CA
- Work-related travel beyond the normal commute will be reimbursed. Occasional extended travel (3-5 days) to remote sites is required during the year, as particular training and support needs arise. Work-related travel beyond the normal commute will be reimbursed.
- Flexible work environment and occasional evening and weekend hours are also required to fulfill the duties of this position.
BUILD offers a competitive compensation & benefits package for eligible employees. This includes medical, dental & vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, and a 403(b) plan with employer match. In addition, BUILD employees are eligible for generous paid vacation, sick time, 10 paid holidays per year, a flexible work environment, and performance bonuses.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume. BUILD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.