Vote Smart - a voter education organization providing free, factual, and unbiased information on candidates and elected officials - is seeking an Operations Coordinator, who will work directly with the National Director to maintain the internship program and office operations. This is a key role because our research headquarters and its interns are at the heart of Vote Smart’s work!
This role is responsible for overseeing the success of the internship program, including recruitment, hiring, and managing of 30+ interns each semester. Some of the job functions include:
- Recruit potential interns every spring, summer, and fall including doing outreach events, online postings, career fair presentations and other forms of recruitment at local and national levels.
- Work closely with university faculty and career center staff from universities locally and nationally on recruitment initiatives.
- Create/advise on internship materials, as required.
- Collect application materials and organize accordingly to interview and select interns.
- Create work schedules for interns based on availability of time and resources of both interns and office, tracking work hours for interns in compliance with Vote Smart and university requirements.
- Assist with intern management with research staff, including coordinating evaluations and necessary disciplinary action.
In addition to internship related duties, this role performs office management duties, which foster a healthy, productive, and positive office environment. These duties range from:
- Distributing some incoming communications by email, phone, mail, and walk-ins.
- Accounting for and paying office bills, including creating a bi-weekly payroll report.
- Filing important documents, physically and digitally.
- Communicating externally with other area groups, including volunteers, professors, chambers of commerce, etc.
- Manage on-boarding process with National Director for new staff including physical space requirements, supplies, and digital access.
- Keep staff and interns connected by planning and executing organizational wide events.
- Assisting the National Director with administrative duties, as needed.
Working largely independently, this is a great opportunity for anyone looking to further their skills in nonprofit management, human resources, and administration. The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong skills in detail orientation, organization (physically and digitally), and communication.
- Ability to work and lead collaboratively across the organization.
- Time management skills and ability to manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Customer service experience, specifically with phone management.
- Experience in outreach including event planning and relationship building.
- Human resources and nonprofit work experience.
- Experience in Google Suite (Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar etc), Handshake, and Dropbox.
- Basic understanding of how databases work.
- Positive attitude and commitment to mission.