After School Program Coordinator/Instructor
- Job posted by Montessori Community School of Rhode Island
Part Time Contract
73 Stanwood Street
Hours: Monday 1-6pm, Tuesday- Friday 3-6pm
Reports to: Head of School
Mission: Montessori Community School of RI is a socioeconomically diverse school that inspires children to cultivate confidence, inner discipline, a love of learning, and a spirit of connectedness. We honor the uniqueness and innate goodness of each child, and empower him or her to develop skills at the periods of greatest readiness. Child by child, we nurture individual growth and build community within an environment that is adaptive, stimulating, challenging and supportive. We believe that our children, by experiencing self-worth,
self-efficacy and harmony with others, will help to create a more peaceful world.
MCS RI is the only Montessori school in RI that is committed to access for all families regardless of their financial status. We are a family friendly, community oriented school, with an arts, science, and nature based curriculum. We are located on the South Side of Providence in our beautifully designed and renovated schoolhouse.
The Role: MCS RI is looking for a responsible, creative, and calm After School Program Coordinator/Instructor who is passionate about working with young children and who will create an enriching after school experience for all enrolled children. Candidates should have experience with or an interest in Montessori philosophy and pedagogy, an open mind, and a dedication to ongoing learning.
- Develop, lead, oversee and implement an afternoon program that includes: arts and crafts, cooking, music, movement, outside time, gardening, and community partnerships
- Work with students to develop a love for self-expression through art and movement
- Through art and nature based projects; teach students lessons in science, math, literacy, social skills, and more
- Develop multi-sensory art projects that are open ended, child directed, and teacher guided
- Improve students’ self-confidence and sense of their own abilities by guiding them to create high quality works of art
- Make connections with other community based organizations on the South Side and West End of Providence to provide students with an opportunity to explore all that Providence has to offer in the realm of urban farms, art, music, and more
- Lead movement games, dance, cooking, yoga, gardening and outdoor activities
- Identify and lead community service projects and community building projects
- Connect with libraries, cafes, galleries, etc. for outlets to display artwork.
- Maintain a friendly, calm, and positive manner with children and parent
- Supervise assistant on a daily basis with regard to daily interactions, curriculum, and daily preparation
- Prepare children for end of day transition from school to home
- Communicate with parents/guardians, and teachers (in writing) weekly
- Participate in planning sessions with Head of School or as required
- Report to the Head of School regarding any difficulties or progress
- Communicate daily, and complete necessary reports with the Head of School, regarding any accidents, injuries, or illnesses
- Write a bi-monthly newsletter for families
- Clean and sanitize all materials used according to cleaning schedule
- Maintain a neat and orderly room
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- BA in Art Education, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Social Work, STEAM training, Child Development or related field
- Previous experience with children ages 18 mo -5 years old.
- BCI and fingerprinting (required before start date)
- CPR/First Aid training a plus
- Spanish Language Fluency a plus, but not required
- Show familiarity with RI early learning standards, certification a plus!
- Interested in learning about Montessori pedagogy and philosophy
- Show a commitment to the MCS RI mission and social justice
- Interest in art and nature and the integration of the two
- Committed to the implementation of culturally responsive curriculum
- Bring a diverse set of interests to the school community
- Dedicated to fostering a calm, joyful, creative classroom
- Responsible to oneself and the team: self-motivated, self-directed
- Able to manage time effectively
- Dedicated to serving the spirit of the whole child: cognitive
emotional, social, and physical
- Dedicated to self-reflection: in service of the self, the child and family,
with a larger vision of creating a more peaceful and just world
- Exhibit creativity in one’s thinking and problem solving
- Display a joyful attitude and approach to interacting with children
MCS RI desires to have a diverse pool of applicants in order to reflect our diverse community. We aspire to a culture where each individual’s voice is heard and has the opportunity to thrive.
Start Date: August 23, 2018
Montessori Community School of RI is a 501c3, nonprofit corporation, whose policies are set and overseen by an elected Board of Directors. It is the policy of the school not to discriminate on the basis of age, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability, race, color and national or ethnic origin in its educational programs, admission policies, financial aid process and other school administered programs, nor does the school discriminate on the basis of gender in its programs and activities in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. Any questions in this regard should be directed to the Head of School.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your thoughtful cover letter and resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org Gina Marciano, Director of Operations