Details: Salary range starts at $43k and is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
60 Bay Street
The Center for Court Innovation is a non-profit organization that works to create a more effective and humane justice system by performing original research and helping launch reforms around the world. The Center creates operating projects that have been documented to improve public safety and reduce the use of jail and prison. Nationally and internationally, the Center performs original research on topics of justice reform and provides consulting services to criminal justice innovators.
Operating out of the Richmond County Criminal Court, the pretrial supervised release program provides regular monitoring and referral services to misdemeanor and non-violent felony defendants whose cases are pending in Criminal Court. The goal of the program is to provide community-based supervision for individuals who would otherwise be detained pretrial on low bail amounts.
The Staten Island Justice Center is seeking a Court Liaison for its pretrial supervised release program. Working inside of the Richmond County Criminal Courthouse and reporting to the Director of Court Operations, the Court Liaison will screen potential clients in order to determine eligibility for pretrial release at the time of arraignment. The Court Liaison will also provide written and verbal compliance updates for Staten Island Justice Center clients in court.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Work closely with defense attorneys to identify participants who are likely to have bail set at arraignments;
· Screen and assess misdemeanor and non-violent felony cases to determine risk level and program eligibility;
· Effectively communicate with prosecutors, defense attorneys, judges, and other court staff about client participation in programming;
· Ensure that all defendants who are released under supervision are connected with a case manager;
· Provide written and verbal case updates to the court as needed;
· Maintain appropriate client information in electronic database and hard files;
· Assist with data collection;
· Manage multiple courtroom responsibilities and maintain excellent relationships with court partners including defense counsel, prosecutors, clerks, court officers, and judges;
· Attend all required staff meetings and trainings;
· Provide regular weekend court coverage;
· Provide culturally competent services in accordance with CCI policies and practice;
· Provide all services in a manner that is strengths-based, gender-responsive, and trauma-informed, and that adheres to the core principles of risk-need-responsivity;
· Perform other duties as required by the Project Director and supervisory staff.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree and excellent written and verbal skills. Candidate must be a skilled communicator able to work in multi-disciplinary setting and maintain strong relationships with multiple agencies and organizations both onsite and in the community. Bilingual preferred (English/Spanish).
Position Type: Full-time. Schedule will be Saturday through Wednesday from 9:30am to 5:30pm.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual preferred (English/Spanish).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to apply:
Send resume, cover letter, salary requirements and a writing sample to:
Subject line: Court Liaison
Attn.: Alyssa Calandra, Director of Court Operations
Staten Island Justice Center
60 Bay Street
Staten Island, NY 10301
Note: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete an employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Visit our website at www.courtinnovation.org.
The Center for Court Innovation is a project of the Fund for the City of New York.
The Fund for the City of New York/Center for Court Innovation is an equal opportunity employer.