Full Time Contract
Elevate Energy seeks candidates for the position of Senior Project Manager in Portland, Oregon where Elevate Energy is working in collaboration with New Ecology, Inc. and Network for Oregon Affordable Housing (NOAH) to provide energy efficiency services to affordable multifamily housing owners. The work requires technical, architectural, and mechanical competency; knowledge of building science and green building practices and technologies; experience with the implementation of energy efficiency improvement strategies; and working experience with LEED, Enterprise Green Community, or other certification projects.
The Portland Senior Project Manager is a member of the New Markets Initiatives team and will report to the Director of New Market Initiatives. The Senior Project Manager will work with property owners and real estate development teams to improve the performance, occupant health, and durability of multifamily buildings.
As this position expands, the Senior Project Manager will also manage and mentor a small team of Energy Engineers, Project Managers, and/or Assistant Project Managers. The Senior Project Manager is expected to coordinate with the Elevate Energy Chicago team, New Ecology, and NOAH as it relates to business development and client deliverables, and will collaborate extensively with other technical staff across New Ecology and Elevate Energy.
The Senior Project Manager’s duties include, but are not limited to, green building project execution, mentorship and management of energy engineers and/or junior level project managers once staff are added to the Portland office, and business development. The Senior Project Manager will be the primary client contact on individual projects, and will be responsible for developing and delivering work products. The position will also require a working knowledge of Energy Trust of Oregon and Oregon Housing and Community Services programs. The Senior Project Manager will also support Project Managers and Assistant Project Managers in Portland and potentially in New Ecology and Elevate Energy’s home office in the execution of the above-mentioned activities, mentoring and training them around successful project management and providing quality control of their work related to process and deliverables.
Specific tasks may include:
- Managing green building projects from pre-design through construction to operations optimization which could include retrofit-type projects
- Managing internal and external team member coordination and communication, schedules and budgets, oversight of technical resources, and delivery of work products
- Leading design meetings to identify and target cost-effective greening strategies
- Attending project meetings and leading discussions on relevant sustainability issues
- Developing energy efficiency and renewable energy strategies for new construction, renovation, and retrofit projects
- Reviewing technical documents such as building plans, specifications, and submittals to ensure that green design intent and certification requirements are incorporated and that green features are buildable
- Educating team members on and facilitating, documenting, and tracking compliance with green building rating systems, such as LEED, Enterprise Green Communities, and ENERGY STAR®
- Performing construction management responsibilities, including inspections, to ensure that projects are built as designed, that program requirements are met, and that problems are identified and resolved to the owner’s satisfaction
- Conducting post-occupancy evaluations of projects to ensure they perform as intended
- Securing grants and rebates for clients, including writing proposals, working with utility representatives, and filing rebate forms
- Representing clients before government agencies in permitting and compliance discussions
- Mentoring and managing a team of Project Managers and Assistant Project Managers
- Providing QA/QC oversight and review of project deliverables produced by Project and Assistant Project Managers
- Writing reports and case studies
- Maintaining relationships with clients and developing new and recurring client business and writing contracts
The Energy Engineer position is located in Portland, Oregon and may be expected to travel as needed to enable New Ecology and Elevate Energy to meet client deliverable expectations and develop business.
The ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial, results-oriented, and a team player. The candidate must have a technical knowledge of building systems and operations, green building approaches and best practices, and experience in project management, coordination and implementation.
- Academic or work experience that demonstrates strong verbal and written communications
- Graduate degree or equivalent experience
- LEED accreditation and experience in certifying green building projects
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong MS Excel and Word and writing skills
- Must possess strong customer communication skills
- A strong desire to work on energy efficiency and sustainability issues at the building level
- Experience in and knowledge of HVAC systems and building codes
- Experience in and knowledge of multifamily buildings/building systems
- Construction management and field inspection abilities
- PE, CEM, and/or BPI certification is a plus
- A valid driver’s license is required
New Ecology is an innovative, nationally-recognized, nonprofit corporation. Their core work is providing energy efficiency and green building services that cost-effectively improve the performance, health, and durability of buildings. Their clients are typically owners of multifamily housing (with an emphasis on affordable housing) and community-based projects such as municipal, educational, and arts buildings. Projects include buildings that are being newly constructed, renovated, or are seeking improved performance.
NOAH is a nonprofit lender working to solve Oregon’s housing affordability crisis. NOAH provides an array of financial tools, including pre-development, bridge and permanent loans, as well as technical assistance to affordable housing developers. Since its beginning, NOAH has funded over $316 million in loans for over 260 properties and more than 9,800 units, leveraging more than $1.28 billion in total project capital. NOAH supports the acquisition, renovation and construction of affordable housing properties throughout the state.
We design and implement programs that reduce costs, protect people and the environment, and ensure the benefits of clean and efficient energy use reach those who need them most.
Elevate Energy is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Minimum Education Required