360 East 161st Street
The Bronx Defenders – an innovative, progressive, holistic indigent defense office in the South Bronx – seeks a Chief Financial Officer.
Since opening our doors in 1997, The Bronx Defenders has served over 300,000 clients in Bronx County. The Bronx Defenders pioneered a model of legal representation called holistic defense, designed to fight both the causes and consequences of court-involvement. Our staff of over 280 lawyers and advocates work on interdisciplinary teams made up of criminal defense, civil, immigration, and family defense attorneys, as well as social workers, legal advocates, parent advocates, investigators, and team administrators, all of whom work to provide holistic legal and social service advocacy to our clients. The Bronx Defenders also houses a community organizing and an impact litigation team, serving as a community resource and force for systemic change. We engage with clients, community residents, and policymakers as we seek ways to better serve the Bronx community and enhance access to justice for all.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) has overall financial management responsibility for the organization and must develop and implement strategies for continued financial health of The Bronx Defenders. In addition to the procedural responsibilities in this role, the CFO is responsible for the overall management of the Finance Department, including: a) developing strategy and goals, b) effectively managing department workforce to keep them aligned, focused, motivated, and high-performing, c) reporting on the department’s progress toward goals to other Managing Directors and to entire staff during staff meetings, and d) modeling The Bronx Defenders’ values of an inclusive and respectful workplace and encouraging the same from staff.
The CFO is also a member of the Management Team of the Bronx Defenders which collaborates to drive the vision of the organization forward. This team manages the strategy and goals of the organization and the integration of such with the goals of each program. The CFO reports to and partners with the Chief Operating Officer, is a member of the Management Team, and works closely with the other Managing Directors. The CFO also works closely with the Board Treasurer and with the Executive Director staffs the Audit and Finance Committees of the Board of Directors. The CFO supervises and oversees the work of the Finance staff.
This position is full time and requires a minimum of 40 hours of work per week.
Strategy and Management of the Organization’s Finances
- Oversee and direct treasury, budgeting, audit, tax, accounting, grants administration, and risk management activities; communicate and implement overall financial strategy
- Oversee (develop, monitor, and revise) short- and long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with The Bronx Defenders’ strategic priorities; work closely with all Managing Directors to monitor and develop the organization’s budget
- Proactively manage cash flow and forecasting; monitor investments and oversee financing strategies; ensure maximization of accounting software
- Ensure organizational compliance with all regulatory tax filings and audit requirements; coordinate annual audit activities
- Supervise a team of finance staff in their accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and purchasing functions; oversee accuracy of financial data entry
- Design and implement fiscal policies and procedures (internal controls) and ensure that staff maintains financial record systems in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Generate and distribute accurate monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports for the Chief Operating Officer, Managing Directors, Board of Directors and other audiences as required
Development Department Support
- Manage all aspects of the collaboration between Finance and Development
- Work with Director of Development and staff to prepare grant requests, and report on funds received
- Oversee the work of the Finance staff to ensure the maintenance of accurate records of gift pledges, restrictions, and use of donated funds
Organizational Risk Management
- Maintain appropriate insurance coverage for employees and office space, including Professional Liability, Fiduciary, Commercial Property, Travel, and other policies as appropriate, and immediately notify carriers of all potential claims in order to mitigate risk
- Develop, communicate and implement Document Retention policy within The Bronx Defenders
- Serve as a trustee on the 403(b)plan, annually reviewing plan design and investment programs and is responsible for the timely annual filing of Form 5500
- CPA and/or Master’s degree in Business, Economics, Finance, Non-Profit Management or other related field preferred or equivalent 15 years’ experience in nonprofit finance
- Eight to ten years of broad finance experience, including experience with budget planning and management for a nonprofit organization, managing annual audit process, and experience in a leadership capacity
- A track record in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants Experience working directly with Boards of Directors and Audit and Finance Committees
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software, especially ABILA, formally known as MIP
- Experience developing processes and documenting and implementing policy and procedure
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
- Strong interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills; experience effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to The Bronx Defenders’ mission
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please visit our career portal at the link above, select the position of interest, click APPLY FOR THIS JOB ONLINE and upload a cover letter and resume in one document when prompted. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
The application deadline is Friday, June 1st, but applications will be considered on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as appropriate candidates are identified.
Please contact Candice Carnage, Chief Operating Officer, via email at email@example.com with any questions regarding the position.
The Bronx Defenders is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, orientations, experiences and communities to apply.