180 North Wabash Avenue
About One Million Degrees:
THE CHALLENGE: 65% of Illinois public college students attend community college, but only one in five of them will graduate with a degree within three years. One Million Degrees (OMD) changes that.
THE SOLUTION: OMD is the only organization in Illinois and one of few in the country dedicated to providing comprehensive supports to low-income, highly motivated community college students to help them succeed in school, in work, and in life.
From tutors and coaches to financial assistance and professional development, OMD offers the support that empowers Scholars to transform their lives and those around them for generations. OMD Scholars graduate at twice the state average with the skills and experiences necessary to launch economically mobile careers.
Currently in its 11th year of programming, OMD continues to expand the number of Scholars it supports to be a catalyst for change in Chicago. OMD partners with 10 Chicago-area community colleges, serving over 800 Scholars across the region in the 2017-2018 academic year and aiming to expand its programming to 1,000 Scholars next year.
One Million Degrees’ Program Manager at Prairie State College (PSC) will lead the coordination of our unique and innovative partnership with the Housing Authority of Cook County (HACC) and PSC. The Program Manager will launch, implement, and manage OMD’s Scholar Support Model, and work directly with the scholars. Critical to the success of the program is effective partnership management and caseload management. This includes collaborating with campus staff and student support services to ensure all program components are in place for the OMD Program, making meaningful connections between scholars and campus staff, and interacting with scholars on an individual basis and in group settings to drive positive student outcomes.
This is a new campus program for OMD and, as such, the ideal candidate is a proactive self-starter, able to develop and manage multiple initiatives at once. The successful candidate is a goal-oriented, high-energy team player with a passion for people and the transformative power of education and opportunity. Relationship management, creative thinking, problem-solving, and a can-do attitude are highly valued.
One Million Degrees is a friendly, diverse office with ambitious goals and a relentless drive to achieve them. Join our dynamic team of talented, hard-working individuals who believe that a single degree can change the world.
This position will be based out of the OMD Program at the Prairie State College in Chicago Heights, IL and will require occasional travel to the OMD Chicago Downtown Office and to other college locations in the Chicagoland area.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
Scholar Management and Engagement
- Implement OMD’s high-touch scholar support model with fidelity to ensure Scholar academic, personal, and professional goals are being met and that Scholars are on-track to graduate within three years, prepared for their next step
- Build rapport with scholars and continuously engage and hold them accountable to OMD program expectations and requirements
- Serve as a thought partner to assist scholars in exploring solutions to problems and ensuring persistence in the face of obstacles that could derail progress toward goals
· Promote scholar registration and attendance at relevant OMD and partner college programming
Partnership Management and Engagement
- Work closely with college staff to ensure all key program components are in place, such as tutoring, data collection, career and transfer supports
- Communicate with the HACC PSC OMD Program Implementation Team regarding recruitment, programs, and scholar progress through regular meetings, reports, and emails/calls as needed.
- Build awareness of the program and scholars among key campus stakeholders, such as faculty, advising, and student services, in order to leverage and strengthen scholars’ networks of support
- Work closely with OMD supervisor to prepare materials, lead, and manage completion of resulting action items for meetings with the HACC PSC OMD Program Implementation Team
- Maintain awareness of the type and availability of college and community resources and efficiently connect scholars to the appropriate services
- Coordinate with other OMD stakeholders, such as coach volunteers and tutors, ensuring that scholars follow-up with these resources
Data Collection and Analysis
- Use Salesforce database to maintain accurate and timely data on scholar interactions, grades and program participation to identify patterns in the scholar population and program performance
- Coordinate with campus and OMD data and research team to collect scholar academic and financial aid data
- Gather and track scholar deliverables such as student service usage, FAFSA and resume completion, 4-year college or job applications, and setting SMART goals
- Deliver on key performance metrics, such as attempted and successful interactions with scholars and other required deliverables
- Analyze and report out on scholar progress data for HACC PSC OMD Program Implementation Team
- Plan and execute weekly OMD Seminars, monthly scholar development sessions, scholar orientation, and other scholar development events in collaboration with OMD staff and campus partners
- Collaborate with key campus stakeholders to bring guest speakers to weekly seminars and reinforce scholar-campus connections
- Implement high quality, engaging programming aimed at building a scholar community and reinforcing growth mindset and non-cognitive skills
- Collaborate with college staff and the HACC team to recruit, track, and support applicants through the application and on-boarding process
- Represent OMD at schools, community organizations, and scholarship fairs
- Facilitate information sessions for prospective Scholars as well as provisional admission meetings and workshops
- Collaborate with the Manager of Scholar Recruitment to support recruitment targets and application processing
Qualifications and Requirements:
Education: Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years (or equivalent) work experience, preferably in education or human services
- Experience having direct accountability for the achievements/outcomes of a group of individuals (caseload management experience is a plus)
- Service fellowship experience such as AmeriCorps is a plus
- Project Management – Proven success in a project leader role with multiple stakeholders
- Communication – Strong verbal and written communication skills; proven ability to effectively communicate with diverse audiences, especially adults and older youth
- Data – Ability to make data-driven decisions
- Facilitation - Experience facilitating meetings or workshops with large groups
- Builder/entrepreneur – Enjoys building new things in a fast-paced environment; evidence of success in the face of ambiguity
- Independent operator – Proven results delivery without direct supervision. Able to make day-to-day decisions that affect others; evidence of on-the-fly problem solving
- Empathy – Evidence of trust-based relationships with individuals of differing backgrounds
Compensation and Benefits for Full-time Employees:
- Salary – Commensurate with experience.
- Health Benefits – Full health insurance for the employee, including medical, dental, and vision.
- Retirement Benefits – After 90 days, employees are eligible for a Simple IRA plan with matched contributions up to 3% of salary.
- Professional Learning Opportunities – OMD supports employee development in areas relevant to professional and organizational goals and will pay for training such as workshops and conferences as agreed upon by employee and supervisor.
- Paid Time Off – 3 weeks paid vacation plus 9 paid holidays.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Write “Your Name + OMD PSC Program Manager” in the subject line of the email.
One Million Degrees is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, and evaluate all candidates based on merit.