The Hotlines’ Client Advocate Specialist fields calls to Safe Horizon’s three 24 hour Hotlines: the Domestic Violence Hotline, the Crime Victims Hotline and the Rape and Incest Hotline. These hotlines provide crisis intervention, advocacy, and information and referrals to over 125,000 victims each year. The Client Advocate Specialist conducts thorough safety and needs assessments, and collaborates with callers to develop plans address needs within a supportive, client-centered framework.
Essential Job Functions:
- Engage clients contacting the Domestic Violence, Crime Victims and Rape and Sexual Assault Hotlines telephonically and via the TDD machine, a device for the hearing impaired
- Conduct thorough assessments for all callers, with a particular focus on ascertaining the safety of clients and their children.
- Identify and follow up on cues signaling potential exposure to risks to safety for clients and their children.
- When indicated, provide crisis intervention to address threats to a caller’s physical and/or emotional safety. Coordinate such interventions with immediate supervisor, as needed.
- Safety plan with callers with identified safety risks.
- Per New York state mandate, report incidents of suspected child abuse or maltreatment/neglect to the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment.
- Conduct shelter assessments for domestic violence and rape/sexual assault victims seeking shelter and provide advocacy for them to access available shelter space
- Assess callers’ needs and provide appropriate information and referrals to address them.
- Interface with web-based case management system and other technologies to conduct and document work.
- Respond to web site inquiries from victims of domestic violence and other crimes upon request
- Participate in agency sponsored and external trainings on victimization issues
- Maintain cooperative working relationships with Safe Horizon programs and other NYC service providers.
- Conduct all aforementioned work with clients within a supportive, client-centered framework.
- Undertake other tasks, as directed.
- Required Skills:
- Ability to quickly establish rapport over the phone
- Experience conducting thorough assessments and demonstrated ability to do so telephonically
- Crisis intervention skills
- Excellent organizational skills, and an ability to multi-task with different technologies (talk on the phone and use several computer programs simultaneously)
- Demonstrated ability to stay calm in high-stress situations
- Demonstrated ability to help others creatively solve problems and address difficult challenges
- Demonstrated ability to react with flexibility and creativity to challenges on a daily basis
- Ability to work autonomously, and collaborate with colleagues effectively, in a fast-paced environment
- Clear and concise writing skills
- Ability to document work quickly within a digital case management system
- Experience with and/or interest in consistent clinical supervision
- Bachelor’s degree required, or relevant experience and training
- Experience working with crime victims preferred
- Bilingual, Spanish-speaking preferred
Schedules Vary: Will include at least one weekend day
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Minimum Education Required