Full Time Temporary
Position: Village Fellow (various positions available; see below for details)
Location: Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village, Rwanda
Duration: ~ 12 months: December 2018 - December 2019
The Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village (ASYV) is a residential community for orphaned and vulnerable adolescents in Rwanda and is home to more than 520 youth and about 130 staff. In addition to an exemplary secondary education, Agahozo-Shalom offers enrichment programs in sports, arts, and culture, and provides a healthy environment that helps the teenagers grow both emotionally and intellectually. In their four years at ASYV, students gain the tools necessary to live, learn, be healthy and build self-reliant lives so that they can contribute to a better world. Visit www.asyv.org for more information.
Village Fellows Program Overview:
The Village Fellows program of the Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village places ~8 international volunteers (“Fellows”) at our site in Rwanda. Fellows spend 12 months living and working in the Village; they are placed into professional roles and work together with Rwandan staff to support existing programs and help develop new systems and programs. They become an integral part of the staff team that enables the Village to fulfill its goal of providing a nurturing home and exemplary formal and informal education to our kids.
In addition to their professional role, most Fellows join a family and serve as a mentor to 16-24 teenage students who are in their first year of living in the Village. Fellows (in this role called “Cousins") work hand-in-hand with Family Mothers and counselors to create a loving and supportive family and home environment for our teens.
Additionally, Fellows lead and support many of the Enrichment Programs and special events offered in the Village after school and during the evenings.
Positions are available in the following areas. Applicants are matched with open positions based on interest, skills, and experience. In your cover letter, indicate the position(s) for which you would like to be considered. Please see below for position descriptions and click on each role for additional details.
- Communications & Visitors Fellow
- English and Career Development Fellow
- English Teaching (ESL) Fellow (Seeking 2 Fellows for this role)
- Information Technology Fellow
- International Visitors Fellow
- Photography & Videography Fellow
General Qualifications & Requirements*:
Before applying, please review the following requirements:
Each candidate should possess an undergraduate and/or advanced degree, have experience with youth development and multicultural/international programs, and must be willing to devote 12-months to living and working in the Village, understanding that work days include evenings and weekends.
An ideal candidate would have the following qualities:
· Excellent communication and organizational skills
· Fluency and proficiency in spoken English
· Ability to balance various jobs and tasks
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision or guidance
· Interest in working for a development project and collaborating with local and international staff
· Ability to adapt to different cultures and work styles
· Strong sense of responsibility and integrity
· Flexibility, patience, resilience, determination, strong leadership
· Ideological affinity with the mission, goals and philosophy of the Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village
* Note: Please include additional qualities that would make you an ideal candidate in your cover letter. Additional requirements for specific positions may apply. See position descriptions by clicking the roles above for details about specific positions.
The Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village provides all Village Fellows with room and board, a monthly stipend, comprehensive medical and evacuation insurance, Rwandan visa, and round-trip airfare to Rwanda. Fellows are responsible for all other costs not listed above (i.e. passport, immunizations, etc.).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To initiate the process, please send a resume and a 1-page cover letter to email@example.com.
Eligible candidates will go through an interview process. As a second step in the process, applicants will be invited to complete an application online. Due to a high volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.