Come join a team of dedicated staff at an exceptional time in Smithsonian history, as the Institution implements a new comprehensive strategic plan and expands the programming, educational, and scholarly activity of its museums and research centers.Following a successful national campaign, the Smithsonian has built a model fundraising organization, one that will meet the growing needs of this unique organization and offer excellent professional opportunities. This position offers exciting opportunities for the successful candidate to make a significant impact on the future of the Smithsonian.
The Advancement Office at the National Museum of American History is seeking qualified candidates to serve as an Advancement Assistant. The position reports to the Deputy Director for External Affairs and works closely with Associate Director and other members of the office's leadership team to handle the gift processing function as well as other technical and administrative duties for the department.
- Ensuring new gifts/payments/pledges are properly recorded by the Museum and the central Office of Advancement
- Coordinates with the NMAH Finance Office as well as the SI Gift Registrar to resolve discrepancies, verify that information is current and accurate and reconciles records
- Prepares deposit documents for gifts received and ensures that database is properly annotated
- Prepares fundraising analyses, acknowledgement correspondence, PPT presentations, donor research and other needed documentation and reports
- Prepares stewardship reports, proposals, lists and other departmental projects on an as-needed basis
- Maintains a comprehensive and detailed knowledge of the Smithsonian's infrastructure, policies, and procedures
- Bachelors degree is required
- One or more years of relevant experience in fundraising and/or finance
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Excel
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
The Star-Spangled Banner, Abraham Lincoln's pocket watch, Ben Franklin's suit, the Ruby Slippers these are just a few of the more than three million objects collected and cared-for by the Smithsonian's NMAH. As the only museum dedicated to telling the entire story of America's history, the museum uses its collections, its people, and its programs to help visitors explore what it means to be an American.
The Smithsonian Institution is a unique complex of 19 museums and galleries, the National Zoological Park, and nine research centers. The Smithsonian is a national and world treasure and is dedicated to its founding mission, â€œthe increase and diffusion of knowledge. Its exhibitions, programs, collections, and outreach touch the lives of millions of Americans every year, as well as many who visit us from abroad.
The Smithsonian Institution offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive package of benefits. This is not a Federal Position, but has similar requirements and benefits. Interested candidates should submit their resumes and a cover letter to email@example.com by December 5, 2018.The Smithsonian Institution is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required