Part Time Contract
Details: Part-time consulting fee - approximately 20 hours/week for 12 months
Beyond Differences is a student-led social justice movement and the only organization dedicated to ending social isolation by teaching students to become activists and change the culture of middle school. Based in Marin County (California) and founded in 2010, Beyond Difference has received a grant to expand its programs to San Mateo County. Now in its sixth year, Beyond Differences is looking for an outstanding part-time Program Manager to lead our regional expansion into San Mateo.
Beyond Differences provides Positive Prevention Initiatives that are designed by teachers and tested over six years that will work in any school environment. The three (3) components are: National Awareness Day events, Student Leadership Training and Original Curriculum.
Consulting Position Overview
We are looking for a part-time experienced Program Manager who is familiar with the San Mateo community of schools, students and families to expand our presence in San Mateo County. With support from the San Mateo County Office of Education you will establish six middle school pilot sites and recruit and train 7th and 8th grade student leaders from each school who will implement our year-round program and lead our national awareness days. By Summer 2018 you will accept applications from rising 9th graders to form a San Mateo County Teen Board of Directors. With supervision from the Director of Student Programs and Executive Director, you will design and implement your own schedule of teachings, meetings, evening events and overnight student leadership retreats.
Services include but are not limited to the following scope of work:
· Manage the local relationship between middle schools and Beyond Differences for three national awareness day events: National Know Your Classmates Day, National No One Eats Alone Day and National Call It Out Day.
· Work with middle school faculty to create leadership cohorts on each campus who meet regularly as Beyond Differences student leaders.
· Utilize Beyond Differences unit lesson plans and teaching materials at local middle schools.
· Recruit a Teen Board of Directors comprised of high school students from San Mateo County who can serve as mentors to middle school students and participate in national campaigns and lead middle school assemblies.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Teaching Certification preferred
- 2 – 4 years minimum experience working within the primary and/or secondary educational systems inside or outside the classroom
- Experience in non-profit and/or political organizational work desired
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and through the written/typed word with creative ideas
- A team player - open to feedback (both giving and receiving), thoughtful and considerate, and a good sense of humor
- Self-motivated and a self-starter; able to manage with or without direct supervision
- Utilizes asset-based thinking and prioritizes culturally responsive pedagogies
Compensation: The fee to be paid is as follows: $2000 per month for twelve months. Expectations are that the work can be accomplished in approximately 20 hours per week.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Beyond Differences is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and indicate in the subject line: San Mateo County Program Manager