San José Province
The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of United World College Costa Rica’s ’s fundraising efforts including but not limited to a major gifts program, annual fund, and upcoming capital campaign. The Director is a member of the School’s Senior Staff and works closely with the Head of School and Board of Directors in all development and fundraising endeavors.
· Manage all aspects of school’s annual fund and upcoming capital campaign. Implement based on agreed plan and budget with support from Head and key volunteers.
· Design and implement the annual fund program. Securing financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations.
· Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
· Develop appropriate stewardship program for donors, both as part of the Campaign and an ongoing major gifts program.
· Implement a grant seeking program including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
· Support and help set fundraising priorities for Head and Board Chair to participate it.
· Oversee prospect identification and research. Manage and maintain prospect list for Head and volunteer leadership. Assist with the prioritization of prospects.
· Work with Head and volunteer leaders to develop effective strategies for cultivating, soliciting and nurturing prospective individual, corporate and foundation donors.
· Participate, as appropriate, in personal meetings to cultivate, solicit and steward gifts.
· Develop and ensure timely submission of effective proposals to corporations, foundations and individuals.
· Effectively interact with volunteers to make productive use of their time and talents and to maximize their benefit to the efforts.
· Track progress of fundraising committee, including meeting notices and agendas, meeting minutes, and assignment follow-up.
· Accurately track all gifts and pledges to ensure appropriate recording and acknowledgement; coordinate with financial staff as needed.
· Enthusiastically and accurately represent campaign in the community as appropriate.
· Must embrace the mission of the United World Colleges.
· Demonstrate excellence in communication skills in both English and Spanish.
· Have knowledge and experience in fund raising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising.
· Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers.
· Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
· Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
· Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
· Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
· A bachelor’s degree.
· 5 years minimum experience in professional fundraising. Or transferable work experience.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent communications skills in both English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required