Details: Competitive, with benefits
EGBOK (Everything’s Gonna Be OK) enables underserved young adults in Cambodia to be self-supporting by providing education, training, and employment opportunities in the hospitality industry and utilizing a comprehensive approach with an emphasis on life skills development. We envision a Cambodian community where everyone has equal opportunities and has the independence and ability to shape one’s own life. EGBOK is currently seeking a minimum 2-year commitment from a self-motivated Executive Director with non-profit and development experience, adaptable to living in a developing country and an eagerness to apply their background to serve others.
The Executive Director is responsible for managing all EGBOK related projects in Cambodia and liaising with both the Deputy Director and Spoons Café Operations Manager to ensure all daily operations run smoothly at both the center and the café. The Executive Director’s primary responsibility is to target EGBOK’s organizational development by focusing on strategic direction, training development, finance & fundraising, as well as M&E best practices.
The Executive Director’s primary mandate will include:
- Evaluate the progress of key objectives of EGBOK’s three-year strategic plan and coordinate alongside the management steering committee at monthly meetings and annual retreats, adjusting as needed.
- Maintain the organization’s year-long projects calendar in accordance with the strategic plan as well as work alongside the Deputy Director and Admin & Accounts supervisor to ensure weekly, monthly and annual reports are submitted by Department Heads, as required by donors, government entities and internal monitoring and evaluation.
- Coordinate EGBOK hospitality training with key team members and partners.
- Support the Deputy Director and the Social Work Supervisor with individual student problems and issues among student groups, enforcing EGBOK’s disciplinary policies.
- Devising action plans around additional student training needs, including hospitality –related skills and general life skills - as communicated by the Social Work Supervisor, Education Manager and Spoons’ Operations Manager.
- Work with the Program Coordinator to maintain relationships with partners, including community-based organizations, hospitality schools and hospitality businesses.
- Meet local authorities during initial assessment meetings to lend credibility and trust.
- Select students for EGBOK’s hospitality programs in accordance with the organization’s mission and vision.
- Oversee the Program Coordinator in identifying new community partners and evaluating current partnerships in accordance with the organization’s mission and vision.
HR, Financial and Administrative Management:
- Oversee finances including managing petty cash flow, reviewing finances, maintaining accounts in Quickbooks, PayPal for business management and budgeting. Also, perform monthly financial audits and provide approval on all payments.
- Support Deputy Director in delegating task and responsibilities to Heads of Department and volunteers, ensuring projects are in line with EGBOK’s strategic plan and annual timeline.
- Reviewing regular performance evaluations submitted by the Deputy Director for all Heads of Departments and conducting performance appraisals for the Deputy Director, the Admin & Accounts Supervisor and the Spoons Operations Manager.
- Provide ongoing professional support and development for team members, including staff and volunteers, in collaboration with the Deputy Director and Heads of Departments.
- Hire new EGBOK team members as needed, including drafting job descriptions, interviewing candidates and drafting employment contracts.
- Oversee Spoons Operations Manager in terms of budget, purchasing and inventory
- Assist in writing HR and finance policies as needed.
Regularly provide project status and progress to the Board of Directors
Fundraising & Marketing:
- Work with the Development Manager to maintain current donor relations while cultivating new ones, hosting VIP visitor, providing support with fundraising events and overseeing grant applications and reporting.
- Oversee marketing initiatives for EGBOK including social media, quarterly newsletters, website and community events.
- Support Spoons Operations Manager with café marketing and events.
Our Ideal Candidate would possess:
- A minimum of three years of experience in NGOs or non-profits, international development, or a related field and 2 years of leadership experience
- A university degree, Master’s degree preferred
- Experience working in a developing country, with experience in Cambodia or South-East Asia an asset.
- Previous experience with basic financial management including ‘profit & loss reports’, ‘balance sheets’, ‘cashflow’, ‘budgeting’, and ‘account auditing’
- Fluent in English with knowledge of Khmer an asset
- Flexibility, open-mindedness, cultural sensitivity and an innate desire to help others
- Attention to detail, high levels of motivation and a willingness to take initiative
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Report writing skills and Monitoring & Evaluation experience
- Competencies in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) with experience with QuickBooks, PayPal and Salesforce an asset
- Experience working directly with young adults and/or a strong hospitality background an asset
- Networking skills over email and in person, with the ability to personally connect with visitors, donors and community partners
Logistics and Contract Terms:
- We ask for a two-year commitment from foreign team members. It can often take time to adjust to life in Cambodia and we want to ensure your time here is both meaningful and mutually beneficial.
- The Executive Director will work a five-day working week, from Monday through Friday.
- This is a paid position in Cambodia on a local salary package. Salary will be dependent upon experience and qualifications. EGBOK will assist with the process of obtaining a visa and work permit to live in Cambodia working for EGBOK. Further benefits to be discussed during an interview.
- EGBOK is located in Siem Reap city center. EGBOK does not provide staff housing, but we can assist you with the process of finding accommodation within your budget.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to Ben Thorne at benthorne@EGBOKmission.org with subject “Executive Director [YOUR NAME]”. Please be aware that EGBOK conducts thorough interviews and background checks with all prospective staff to ensure your time will be meaningful and productive. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Level of Language Proficiency
Khmer preferred, though not essential
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
CV and covering letter required, detailing why you are the right cultural and professional fit for the organisation