123 West Madison Street
Title: Development Director, Central Region
Reports to: Vice President of Development & Strategy
FLSA Status: Exempt
About the Organization
Upwardly Global is the first and longest-serving organization that focuses on helping foreign-trained immigrants and refugees integrate into the American workforce. We prepare immigrants and refugees for jobs that match their education and skills, and we provide employers with the know-how to create inclusive hiring practices so they can take advantage of this untapped and valuable potential.
This is an exciting opportunity for a top notch development candidate looking for an opportunity to support deeply meaningful work in immigrant and refugee integration by helping scale our Central region (office based in Chicago) fundraising portfolio. In this key leadership role, focus areas include growing our Individual and major donor portfolios, expand our premier event, Passport to Possibilities Gala, from 170k to 350k or greater annually; create, build on our government revenue (currently at 180K) and continue to build and grow our institutional portfolio from 450k to 800k in 2020.
The successful candidate will have opportunities to work with development peers across the National Fundraising Team including CEO, VP Development Strategy, National Grants team and Development Directors in NYC and San Francisco. He/She will look to inspire and grow funder interest in supporting the UpGlo mission; and bring a strategic mindset to support our continued evolution as the top national organization driving the successful integration of skilled immigrants, refugees and asylees.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Vice President of Development Strategy (VPDS), the Director of Development will be responsible for: 1) securing, growing and diversifying local funding opportunities; 2) identifying, cultivating and maintaining regional and national corporate and government partnerships; and 3) supporting local innovation efforts to achieve strategic plan goals. This person will be called upon to act as the public face of UpGlo in the region and act in the place of the CEO when needed.
· Actively work with the VPDS to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include government, foundation, events, major donors and corporate revenues sufficient to meet strategic plan goals. There will be a special emphasis on growing government and individual donor funding.
· Actively identify and explore opportunities for government funding in the Central Region area including discretionary city, workforce funding, and other funding through sources such as the governor’s office and local and state economic development agencies.
· Develop, cultivate, and grow relationships with major donors and funders. Host and participate in local and regional discussions with major donors and funders in order to secure funding and partnership opportunities.
· Collaborate with the VPDS to develop and manage the local leadership council/local board to grow their fundraising capacity; support local board member and leadership council members to reach their annual goals through securing funding from their networks and supporting regional events.
· Serve as the leader for the development and execution of the region’s event strategy, including regional donor events, our Passport to Possibilities Gala and other events to raise awareness of UpGlo’s brand and mission.
· Grow institutional (Foundation and Corporate Foundation) financial support.
· Collaborate with Regional Program Director to grow revenue from the development of employer partnerships opportunities that support our skills based volunteer activities and companies’ access to our jobseeker talent pool.
· Support and partner with VPDS on strategic expansion of corporate partnership initiatives.
· Collaborate closely with the Regional Program Director in the Central region on program design and deliverables that meet funder strategies, as well as the finance & accounting team on program budgets and financial reporting.
· Work with a seasoned development leader who has led other organizations from $5 to $10M in revenue, work alongside the org's dynamic CEO who is based out of NYC, and interface with corporate leaders from industry leading companies.
· Help build a community of supporters who care about immigrants and refugees as core to our identity as a country.
· Liaise with the VPDS and VPP on targeted, strategic projects.
· Serve as a thought leader, in collaboration and partnership with senior leaders and pro-bono teams, as appropriate, to refine and execute on strategies related to differentiated services, earned revenue, strategic partnerships, scaling models, and potential re-skilling partnerships.
Knowledge and Skills (Essential)
· Bachelor's degree required, Master's preferred
· Strong vision and proven track record of at least 3-5 years in achieving/exceeding organizational fundraising goals
· Experience with growing a diversified funding model that includes government, major donor, corporate and foundation funding.
· Deep understanding and engagement with workforce system and/or local and state government agencies touching our work preferred (DOE, DOL, etc.).
· Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside UpGlo
· Passion for UpGlo’s mission coupled with exceptional influencing and public speaking skills
· Strong organizational, project management, and time management skills
· Demonstrated track record of advocacy work on a regional level, national level preferred.
· A professional and resourceful style; unparalleled tenacity; natural leader who takes initiative, and able to readily absorb lots of information
Work Environment/Physical Requirements
· This is a largely sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 10lbs
· Requires the ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally
· Must be available to work evening events and occasionally weekend sessions
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent in English (written and spoken)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter with salary expectation to HR@upwardlyglobal.org with Director of Development, Central Region in the subject line.