Details: We offer a competitive salary that is dependent on experience and qualifications.
Director of Training
Mindful Schools — Emeryville, CA
The mission of Mindful Schools is to train the world’s educators in mindfulness and in how to teach mindfulness to K-12 youth in an organic, sustainable way.
With an enthusiastic team of 18 and a budget size of $3.9 million, Mindful Schools provides online and in-person courses and content to a network of mindful educators spanning all 50 U.S. states and 100+ countries. Our courses and curricula are designed to serve under-resourced public schools facing high turnover rates and toxic stress as well as college-prep schools with more access to resources. We give educators simple, effective tools for self-care, classroom engagement, and increasing learning readiness while connecting them with a vibrant, supportive peer network.
Mindful Schools (MS) is seeking a Director of Training to take charge of the Training function. The goal of the Training function is to help educators establish and deepen their mindfulness practice so that they can share it with students and peers, and affect positive change in the school climate. The Director of Training manages and guides the work of the Training team, whose charge is to provide educators with the learning opportunities and experiences they need to establish and deepen their own mindfulness practice, teach mindfulness to youth, practice together with peers, and build mindful schools.
This role is responsible for directing, participating in, and overseeing the creation of mindfulness-based curricula and training-related content for educators and other adults working with youth. She/he will manage the delivery of the mindfulness practice-related content and support offered by the MS network of Guiding Teachers.
This position also teaches retreats and workshops, oversees the design and revision of content for our online courses, and provides content for the MS newsletter and community platform, as well as other external communications, including social media. She/he is responsible for staying abreast of trends in secular mindfulness, social-emotional learning, and the science around mindfulness, trauma, and behavioral science research, while appropriately integrating those findings into our training materials. As a member of the senior leadership team, the Director of Training is involved in organizational strategic planning work, and together with others, responsible for the overall management and direction of the organization.
The ideal candidate must be a highly collaborative leader; an experienced practitioner and teacher of mindfulness; have experience designing and creating programmatic content for mindfulness practice-related instruction; and have the capacity and enthusiasm for being a community-oriented “face” of mindfulness practice for the organization.
Leadership and Strategic Planning
- Collaborates with E.D. and the MS Leadership Team in determining programmatic objectives, priorities, and initiatives relative to the Training function
- Oversees the development, execution, and management of all mindfulness practice-related online course and program offerings
- Oversees the Mindful Teacher Certification Program, selects and manages the MTCP guiding teacher team, and participates as needed in program planning, design and execution
- Supervises the Training Team and oversees the practice-related management and support of the MS Guiding Teacher network
- Provides consultation on community practice initiatives and supports the MS graduate network (all of those who have completed our courses)
- Represents MS at conferences, for media inquiries, and at public events, presentations or interviews via in-person, written, phone, and/or video
- Collaborates cross-functionally with Guidance and Growth Teams to implement programmatic initiatives, as well as working effectively with the Tech, Finance and Operations teams and Fundraising efforts to support the overall organizational effectiveness of MS
- Oversees the development of content for all MS mindfulness practice training and programs
- Continually revises, updates and improves existing content for all MS courses and programs
- Creates mindfulness practice content for various MS communications channels, including newsletter, blog, and community
- Is a member of the lead teaching team for the Mindful Teacher Certification Program, leads retreats and offers trainings throughout the year-long program
- Teaches workshops as part of MS educator community initiatives
- Develops and delivers training content for new and existing online courses
- Bachelor's degree (degree in education, human behavior, or related field preferred)
- Intimate knowledge of mindfulness and experience practicing and teaching mindfulness
- Significant meditation teaching experience
- Experience teaching meditation retreats
- Significant youth/education teaching experience
- Experience training adults to teach mindfulness to youth
- Knowledge of educational environments and their challenges
- Knowledge of psychological development and learning at different developmental stages
- Strong interpersonal skills, with demonstrated success in communicating with and collaborating in a multidisciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team
- Strong writing skills
- Highly developed public-speaking abilities
- Strong project management skills
- Familiarity with emerging themes of the mindfulness movement
- Ability to support mindfulness practitioners and teachers at various points of their personal and professional development
- Strong computer technology skills including familiarity with online learning management systems
- Master's degree in human behavior, education or related field
- Degree in behavioral science or developmental psychology
- Experience teaching K-12 or education systems
- Familiarity with basic audio and video production
Additional Eligibility Requirements:
- Must be willing and able to work onsite at our Emeryville offices
- Must be willing and able to travel domestically for retreats and conferences
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
We offer a competitive set of benefits that reflect our values, including:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- 403(b) retirement plan with up to a 4% employer match
- Generous PTO
- Flexible work hours and support for a healthy work-life balance
- Great organizational culture in a quiet, sunlit office space in Emeryville, CA
Level of Language Proficiency
Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
Other languages are a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit the following:
- A detailed cover letter outlining your specific interest in this position and your relevant experience
- Your resume