71 West 23rd Street
AFS Intercultural Programs, Inc. (AFS) is a leading international education organization with a mission to provide and expand intercultural learning opportunities that develop active global citizens and institutions with the knowledge and skills needed to create a more just and peaceful world. AFS is active in over 100 countries, with offices in 60 countries, and 12,000+ participants annually supported by 50,000+ volunteers globally.
As part of the organization’s new strategy, the new AFS Educational Products team at AFS is updating its educational products for our stakeholders, as well as developing new educational products for educational institutions and organizations to make global competence more accessible to new audiences.
AFS is a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our partners and the organization, collaborate and work alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure, we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, we respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
In a nutshell:
This role is a good fit for you if you are interested in creating positive impact in the world, and you’re keen to lead a diverse, multi-disciplinary team helping to create and envision new, attractive, and impactful educational products focused on global competence development.
Strategy and management:
- Set the strategy for the Educational Products unit, in line with the AFS Network strategy
- Keep current on innovation, new thoughts, people and organizations that are making strides in the global competence field, to effectively translate these into state-of-the-art educational content for all AFS educational products
- Oversee and lead external offering of relevant AFS educational products
- Lead and provide thought leadership internally and externally when it relates to AFS educational products, including external publications and conferences.
- Identify and advance collaboration with external organizations and players in the global competence field, to advance AFS’s educational products
- Set content strategy for AFS exchange programs (with focus on intercultural learning, global citizenship, global competence and social impact)
Educational Product management:
- Develop and execute product development strategy, including the development on online or hybrid tools, courses, modules for volunteers, staff, students, schools, academic institutions and other stakeholders
- Oversee, create, and continuously update AFS educational products for internal and external application
- Generate ideas for new products and implement them together with team
- Engage and motivate internal stakeholders in the use of AFS educational products
- Direct the full product management cycle, including development, piloting, distribution strategy, market, etc.
- Understand various business models for educational products on the market and apply relevant ones to the various AFS educational products
- Develop and oversee sales and marketing strategy for external use of AFS educational programs.
Coordination and administration:
- Lead the Educational Products unit, in particular supervise the Educational Products Development Manager and Educational Products Sales and Marketing Manager.
- Coordinate needs for AFS educational products with colleagues at AFS INT, such as the Organizational Development team for staff and volunteers and the Global Engagement team for schools, and the wider AFS Network.
- Manage administration and other necessary administrative and coordinating activities .
- Develop annual budget and monitor revenue and expenses.
- Minimum Masters, or equivalent by experience
- 5 years of experience in a managerial role
- Strategic thinker, pragmatic “get it done” implementer, connect data and research with practical solutions.
- Experience working with educational programs and teaching/training (preferably in adult and/or non-formal education, and with blended learning approaches).
- Experience with non-profit organizations, ideally volunteer-driven organizations.
- Results oriented with high energy and strong work ethic.
- High standards of accuracy, thoroughness, quality, able to meet deadlines, work efficiently and set priorities appropriately.
- Strong interpersonal, global competence and communications skills in an international setting, including ability to build working relationships across and outside of the AFS network.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills, as well as one other language
- Success in managing virtual teams.
- Prepared to travel regularly.
The position would be based in NYC. For the ideal candidate, other solutions might be considered.
Medical and dental insurance
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent oral and written English language skills, as well as one other language
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please attach your resume and a cover letter (two separate documents in pdf or MS Word - don’t include your cover letter in the body of the email) in an email to Recruitment@afs.org. Please use “Educational Products Director” as the title of your email. Application deadline: Friday, November 23, 2018.