SIREN SEEKS A STAFF ATTORNEY FOR THE CENTRAL VALLEY
Reports To: Supervising Attorney
Location: Central Valley (Fresno, CA -preferred location)
Position: Full-time, exempt position
OVERVIEW OF SIREN (Services, Immigrant Rights & Education Network)
SIREN combines community organizing, policy advocacy, civic engagement, community outreach and education and legal services to empower low-income immigrants and refugees in California. We believe our clients and all immigrants are agents of change and we prepare them for leadership in all four of these program areas.
The Staff Attorney must be passionate about SIREN’s mission. The Staff Attorney is part of a legal department of immigration specialists and primarily responsible for providing client consultations with greater attention to complicated cases, representation, research, and analysis. This position will be focused
· Litigate both affirmative and defensive cases before USCIS, EOIR, the BIA, and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
· Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, interviewing potential clients and determining whether they qualify for relief, assisting them with any applications for relief, researching legal issues related to their claims, preparing all necessary filings, and representing them throughout their removal/affirmative proceedings.
· Work alongside a diverse legal team to create infrastructure and sustainability within the immigrant legal services program, including, but not limited to, managing in-house training opportunities for DOJ accredited representatives and grow volunteer base for in-house legal assistance.
· Network to obtain external organizational support, to build collaborations that support legal program activities, and/or to refer clients to partners on issues outside our expertise.
· Assist with meeting grant deliverables that fund the immigration legal program.
COMMUNITY EDUCATION AND ADVOCACY
· Support CV Organizer, as needed, with legal workshops, mobile workshops and trainings.
· Conduct presentations on various immigration related topics, when necessary and as needed.
· Perform other duties as assigned by Supervising Attorney or Executive Director.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
· Must be a fast and flexible learner and able to work in an organization with many moving parts.
· Committed to the needs of the immigrant community and passionate about immigrant and human rights
· Bilingual/ Bi-literate in Spanish.
· Attention to detail and have strong legal office organizational skills.
· Adept at public speaking and teaching in large groups and comfortable with conducting media interviews
· Ability to under pressure and exercise flexibility as needed.
· Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment.
· Ability to identify problems and develop creative solutions both independently and in cooperation with others.
· Excellent customer service skills and effective oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to maintain a good working relationship with culturally diverse staff and clients.
· Able, upon hire, to provide own transportation; with adequate insurance and a CA driver's license, when needed.
· Willing to work flexible hours as required by program.
· Community organizing or community lawyering experience a plus.
· Ability to work on weekends/evenings and travel, as needed.
· Must have a valid driver’s License, car insurance, and daily access to a car.
· Applicants will be housed at SIREN’s Fresno office.
Salary Range: Based on experience, plus comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision, as well as transportation and fitness reimbursement.
Level of Language Proficiency
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Have a U.S. law degree (J.D.) and active bar membership. Individuals with experience in immigration law, specifically in removal defense, will be given preference.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATE
Must be in good standing with the state bar (CA State Bar strongly preferred).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references. Cover letter should include a detailed description of the candidate’s legal career and experience.
Please email to SIREN HR: HR@siren-bayarea.org and include Staff Attorney- CV in the email subject.
For more information about SIREN, visit our website at www.siren-bayarea.org
*SIREN is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds, especially individuals from immigrant and refugee communities. People of color, immigrants, women, LGBTQ persons, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to seek employment at SIREN.