Temporary Staff Attorney Senior Citizens Unit (minimum of 6 months, could be extended for longer term)
- Job posted by Legal Aid Society of Orange County
Full Time Temporary
Details: Depending on Experience
2101 N. Tustin Avenue
Legal Aid Society of Orange County (LASOC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to low income individuals and seniors. It has two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County, where it is known as Community Legal Services (CLS). LASOC/CLS seeks an energetic, motivated, personable and effective Staff Attorney to be part of the Santa Ana Senior Citizens Unit (visit www.legal-aid.com for more information about us). Under the supervision of the Supervising Attorney, this position is responsible for handling a full range of civil legal problems that affect senior citizens including, but not limited to, family law, housing, consumer, social security, elder abuse, limited conservatorships and government benefits.
- Handles client interviews, negotiation, settlement, trial and appeal of cases in State and Federal Courts;
- Researches and prepares pleadings and other legal documents in connection with trials, hearings, and other legal proceedings;
- Directs and supervises clinical law students and paralegals;
- Travels to certain Senior Citizen Centers throughout Orange County to conduct client interviews; and,
- Participates in activities of community based organizations and Bar Association activities.
What are we looking for
- Education/License Required: J.D. and active membership in good standing with the State Bar of California.
- Knowledge of legal principles and their application.
- Knowledge of rules of evidence and the conduct of court proceedings.
- Knowledge of legal research methods.
- Proficiency in Form Builder, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, etc.) and other software programs.
New attorneys are encouraged to apply
Full-time | salaried | exempt
401-K | medical | dental | LTD | life insurance | paid holidays | vacation | sick leave
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Position open until filled.
THE LEGAL AID SOCIETY OF ORANGE COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Minimum Education Required