Part Time Temporary
Details: Hourly rate commensurate with experience
Long Island City, Coney Island
City Parks Education has operated interdisciplinary environmental education programs in schools and parks since 1992. Coastal Classroom focuses on coastal ecology, water quality, urban waterfront restoration and preservation on the Queens Waterfront in Long Island City and in Coney Island. Coastal Classroom offers one-time and multi-session programs for schools (4th grade and up), non-profit groups, civic organizations and the general community. Through site specific inquiry-based lessons, we provide stimulating and meaningful learning experiences for a range of community members in their own community.
City Parks Foundation (CPF) seeks an experienced marine educator to provide instruction and guidance to middle school students and paid high school interns under the supervision of the Coastal Classroom Program Manager. The Coastal Classroom Summer Intensive 2018 runs from July 9th - August 9th and the duration of this position is from June -- to August --. The successful candidate will have a strong knowledge base in aquatic ecosystems and shoreline ecology as well as at least one year experience in delivering instruction to and working with adolescents in an educational setting.
- Adapt, and deliver one-time and/or sequential developmentally appropriate lessons and workshops for youth ages 8 to 14.
- Help implement curriculum that includes a progressive series of hands-on, interdisciplinary lessons that hone academic skills, encourage curiosity, and support mandated academic standards.
- Provide logistical support and complete general administrative duties as needed.
- Assist with data collection and record keeping.
- Help maintain, repair and protect tools and equipment, including boats, waders, nets, buckets, water quality kits and other gear.
- Requires ample set-up and break-down time. This includes moving heavy equipment (boats, waders, nets, moving cart) and other physically arduous tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Anticipated Degree in Education, Marine Ecology, Marine Biology, Environmental Science, or related field.
- Knowledge of marine ecosystems, marine life, data collection, and data analysis.
- Experience instructing outdoors, on-water and in other non-traditional settings using interactive methods desirable. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in inquiry-based methods
- Strong/solid classroom management skills and ability to instruct different types of learners.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Willingness to travel alone on public transportation to sites throughout New York City.
- Ability to work with diverse students.
- Willingness to work outdoors from June-August in hot/wet/sometimes uncomfortable weather conditions (manual labor necessary).
- Willingness to work occasional weekends.
WORKING FOR CITY PARKS FOUNDATION
City Parks Foundation is a collegial, mission-focused organization that values its employees and encourages professional growth and advancement.
ABOUT CITY PARKS FOUNDATION
City Parks Foundation (CPF) is the only independent, nonprofit organization whose mission is to offer programs in public parks throughout the five boroughs of New York City. We are dedicated to invigorating and transforming parks into dynamic, vibrant centers of urban life through sports, arts, community development, and education programs for all New Yorkers. Our programs and community building initiatives -- located in more than 350 parks, recreation centers, and public schools across New York City -- reach 425,000 people each year. Our ethos is simple: we believe thriving parks mean thriving communities.
- We connect youngsters to nature in the urban environment with education programs that provide learning experiences through classroom and hands-on activities in parks, urban forests, coastal areas, gardens, and recreation centers.
- We present the largest free, outdoor performing arts festival in NYC through SummerStage, presenting artists of the highest quality across multiple disciplines and genres, and marionette puppet theater in all five boroughs with our Swedish Cottage Marionette Theatre and the roving PuppetMobile.
- Partnerships for Parks, a public-private program of City Parks Foundation and NYC Parks, supports and champions a growing network of leaders who care and advocate for the transformation of their neighborhood parks.
- Free golf, tennis, track & field, soccer, and fitness programs bring high-quality instruction and equipment into areas where few organized athletic opportunities exist. We offer leveled training, year-round scholarship coaching, and special pro events.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested parties should email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: education[at]CityParksFoundation.org. Put “Coastal Classroom, Seasonal Marine Educator” in subject header.
Thank you for your interest in City Parks Foundation, an equal opportunity employer. Only potential candidates will be contacted. No calls, please.