Details: Not Listed
The position serves to support the Policy & Advocacy Department and assist in the management of the Foundation’s advocacy on behalf of people living with cystic fibrosis. Under the guidance and supervision of the Director, Policy & Advocacy and in collaboration with Policy & Advocacy Organizers and other team members, the Coordinator is responsible for assisting in the planning and execution of outreach to elected officials and their staff to raise awareness and discuss policies that affect the CF community; developing and maintaining systems to track the Foundation’s interactions with lawmakers; drafting letters, handouts, policy documents and training materials; and in collaboration with chapter staff and volunteers, execute advocacy efforts both at the federal level and in all 50 states.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates federal lobbying activities, including scheduling and attending meetings with elected officials. This includes communicating professionally with legislative offices, volunteers, outside lobbying counsel, and chapter and care center staff.
- Develops materials to assist in the introduction and explanation of the Foundation’s policy agenda.
- Assists in drafting prompt, professional responses to queries and requests made through the department’s public policy information email account.
- Assists in preparing materials, talking points, trainings, and other coordination tasks for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation advocacy events.
- Serve as liaison, along with other team members, between the Foundation’s 60 staff-run chapters and the National Office’s Policy and Advocacy Department.
- Assist in development of trainings and coaching sessions for local chapter staff and National Office staff on matters of advocacy strategy, issue updates and overall grassroots structure.
- Assist in coordination, planning and execution of two federal fly-in events for advocacy volunteers and chapter staff annually, and assist and support planning and execution of state-level advocacy events annually.
- Draft emails and action alerts, website content and other internal and external communications materials.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key volunteer advocates and chapter staff.
- Some travel required.
- Act as point of contact for and maintain of relationships with several important vendors, including for the Foundation’s online advocacy action alert system and advocate database, registering and communicating with volunteers for federal events.
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Seeks a Public Policy Coordinator to join the Public Policy (Policy and Advocacy) department in Bethesda, MD. This position works in collaboration with and supports the Access Policy team and the Policy and Advocacy Department by providing substantive support on state policy research projects, project management, legislative tracking, internal and external communication materials, and administrative duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Executes substantive research on state policy and coverage topics, such as Medicaid and other state health care programs, with guidance from supervisor and team experts.
- Drafts memos and summary documents based on research findings.
- Provides project management support to state policy team, including drafting project plans, tracking progress, and reporting status updates to team.
- Assists with state legislative tracking.
- Develops access policy content for internal and external communications, including handouts, newsletters, presentation slides, and conference materials.
- Provides administrative and logistical support including but not limited to meeting scheduling, agenda development, special event preparation, training development, creation of materials, and conducting follow-up with stakeholders.
- Liaises with contracts, compliance, and finance department to manage team contracts.
- Applies content knowledge to projects and communicates content to relevant internal and external partners.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 2-3 years of experience in fast-paced work environment and strong interested in health policy preferred.
- Requires excellent writing, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Individual should be highly analytical, organized, conscientious, resourceful and adaptable.
- Team player with positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office suite, experience with Adobe and/or Photoshop suites a plus.
- The Coordinator, Policy & Advocacy, will report to and work in collaboration with the Senior Manager, Policy & Advocacy who, in turn, reports to the Senior Director, Policy & Advocacy.
Minimum Education Required