AmeriCorps VISTA Position – Data Management VISTA
- Job posted by National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty
2000 M Street, N.W., Suite 210
Join the National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty in our mission to use the power of the law to end and prevent homelessness, and be a part of our work to protect the civil and human rights of people experiencing homelessness: from the right to perform life-sustaining actions such as sleeping without harassment or criminalization, to the educational rights of children and youth experiencing homelessness to attend and participate in school. The Law Center facilitates the Housing Not Handcuffs campaign, and coordinates with stakeholders in communities across the country in a comprehensive movement to end the criminalization of homelessness and turn communities toward constructive solutions. Three AmeriCorps VISTA members will play central and vital roles in the campaign and the Law Center’s work by performing activities including outreach and network development, database management and data analysis, and supporting development & communications activities to build organizational capacity to extend beyond the three-year project.
Your role will focus on the management and enhancement of a programmatic database to track information such as campaign initiatives of the Law Center and our partners, criminalization laws and constructive alternatives, rights violations reported by individuals or partner organizations, and campaign success stories. This project will put you in contact with advocates throughout DC and across the country. You’ll work with Law Center staff and two other VISTA members to facilitate information sharing within the Law Center, and among external groups, to bolster campaign efforts and increase methods of collaboration.
This position is a one-year, full-time commitment. This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position, hosted at the Law Center. Candidates must be available to start on June 18, 2018.
The Law Center is centrally located in downtown Washington, DC, easily accessible by public transportation. There will be many opportunities to network and to learn a great deal during your time with us.
Develop and implement continuation plan for database systems.
· Maintain the database systems used to track program activities and media activity. Ensure information is documented and tracked accurately. Provide reports and perform analysis on information in database.
· Finalize best practices and comprehensive procedural manual on database usage, including data input and reporting functions.
· Assess current staff usage and needs, and develop multiple user profiles with custom levels of access to the database systems.
· Provide in-depth training to staff on ongoing use and maintenance of database systems.
Research automation plan for database systems.
· Research options for automating data input and reporting within existing database systems.
· Document findings on automation measures for future staff use.
· Implement automation measures as time allows.
Carry out reorganization of server data and archived files.
· Establish timeline and action plan to carry out reorganization of server data and archived files.
· Develop and document new file management procedures for server and archives, train staff.
· Commitment to social justice and anti-poverty issues; desire to protect the civil and human rights of people experiencing homelessness, to end the criminalization of homelessness, and to support the human right to housing.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
· Experience with database and/or data management tools. Microsoft Access proficiency preferred).
· Very strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Problem-solving ability, creative thinking, and ability to recognize opportunities to strengthen partnerships and systems.
· Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
· Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships and communicate effectively and professionally with diverse populations.
· Experience working on issues related to homelessness is a plus; experience with grassroots organizing, advocacy, campaign management, or movement-building strategies is a plus.
AmeriCorps VISTA provides a modest living stipend, as well as an education award or a post-service stipend upon completion of service. There are numerous other benefits associated with AmeriCorps, including travel stipends, child care benefits, limited health coverage, and special hiring status for federal employment after the completion of the service year. The VISTA volunteer will also receive a free fitness center membership through the Law Center. Read more about AmeriCorps VISTA service benefits at http://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Janelle Fernandez at email@example.com no later than Wednesday, April 25, 2018. In the subject line of your email, please note that you are applying for the "Data Management VISTA" position. No phone calls, please. Online application through the AmeriCorps VISTA site will be required if you are selected for an interview.
The Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Persons of color, LGBT persons, persons with disabilities, and persons who have experienced homelessness are especially encouraged to apply.