For fifty years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has led the fight for reproductive freedom for everyone, including the right to access abortion. Powered by more than 2.5 million members from all 50 states and a network of state affiliates, NARAL Pro-Choice America represents the more than seven in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when and how to raise a family. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others
Location: Washington, DC
Reports To: Political Director
This Position Is: Exempt Union Level: IV
Salary Range: $59,600 – $72,500
NARAL’s political department builds power to protect and expand reproductive freedom, so that people have the ability and the support to decide for themselves when, if and how to have children. We do that by winning elections, electing and supporting champions, and securing legislative victories; helping to build long term partnerships and infrastructure to win these fights in the future; and advancing the view, backed up by data, that reproductive freedom is a winning political issue.
NARAL Pro-Choice America is seeking a highly motivated, team oriented candidate with prior PAC and fundraising experience to be Manager of the NARAL Pro-Choice America PAC Committee (PAC or PAC Committee). The PAC Manager works directly for the National Political Director and with the Deputy National Political Director and works closely with other departments throughout the organization. The PAC Manager helps execute PAC fundraising and direct campaign contributions to endorsed candidates, in collaboration with the digital and development team, and is the manager of all PAC activities.
The PAC Manager will also work with the National Political Director and Deputy Political Director to develop a strategy to leverage PAC distributions to support candidates for local, state and federal office in a way that builds long term power for NARAL and the reproductive rights movement. The PAC Manager may also serve as a representative of NARAL in building and sustaining relationships with candidates and organizations at the local, state and national level in order to achieve multiple, shared objectives.
The position requires a candidate to be highly collaborative, a minimum of four years of professional political/fundraising experience, who can function with a high level of autonomy, to help manage multiple projects and work on time-sensitive deadlines.
● In consultation with the Development and Digital Departments, develops and implements innovative strategies for PAC solicitation programs to increase the visibility of and contributions to the NARAL Pro-Choice America PAC including, but not limited to:
● Developing PAC fundraising goals and measuring progress,
● Working with existing PAC donor base, as well as researching and cultivating new donors, willing to contribute to NARAL endorsed candidates via NARAL Pro-Choice America PAC.
● Driving the strategy, including the coordination of the organization’s principals, to raise PAC money from medium and large donors,
● Presenting at internal and external PAC solicitation events,
● Planning and supporting PAC fundraising events;
● Working with outside counsel and compliance consultant to ensure proper PAC reporting and compliance with federal and state election laws; Managing PAC receipts and distributions;
● Evaluates candidates seeking endorsement and financial contributions from NARAL Pro-Choice America PAC, and makes strategic recommendations to the Political Director and PAC Committee for approval. This process includes helping vet/interview candidates, gathering relevant issue and political research, and seeking/managing input from NARAL’s Policy Department & Development Department, NARAL affiliates and other stakeholders with relevant perspective;
● At the direction of the Political Director, helps build relationships with political parties, elected officials, political campaign staff and consultants, as well as other politically active Political Action Committees.
● Responsible for all aspects of PAC Committee meetings, including agenda setting, record keeping and maintaining strong relationships with individual PAC Committee members;
● Manages all administrative functions for the PAC.
· Works cross-departmentally in support of NARAL PAC endorsed candidates;
· Contributes to Political Department program strategy, including regionally-focused collaborative work;
· Other duties as assigned.
● Demonstrated commitment to reproductive freedom and to empowering women and families to fight for the right and the ability to make their own reproductive freedom choices;
● Minimum of two election cycles working for a federal PAC, preferably in a leadership role;
● Successful track record of political fundraising in a similar PAC role at the national or state level, including: Donor research,
● Writing letters, proposals and thank you notes to donors and prospective donors, as well as pre-meeting briefings for principals,
● Conducting outreach to prospective donors, including sourcing introductions to prospects and cold calls,
● Writing regular fundraising reports and developing tracking systems,
● Respond to donor and prospect inquiries in a timely and professional manner;
● Working knowledge of NGP;
● Demonstrated experience and knowledge of FEC political action committee guidelines at federal level required;
● Knowledge of federal campaign committees and state political party operations is required;
● Experience working for a membership organization and utilizing a Political Action Committee to strengthen the political power of a membership organization;
● Thorough knowledge of 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 organizations and experience building power with both types of organizations;
● Ability to travel and willing to work long hours as needed;
● Expert ability to strategically schedule, prioritize, prepare for, and follow-up on all meetings with donors and elected officials;
● Ability to prioritize multiple tasks effectively;
● Sense of humor, discretion, strong communications skills, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-pressured work environment;
● Ability to collaborate with diverse groups of colleagues, experience working with a multicultural workforce and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences is required;
● Clear understanding of, and commitment to, NARAL’s mission and goals.
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line PAC Manager. The cover letter should be concise and compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please mention Idealist in your application.
For fifty years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has led the fight for reproductive freedom for everyone, including the right to access abortion. Powered by more than 2.5 million members from all 50 states and a network of…
To apply for this position submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line PAC Manager. The cover letter should be concise and compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please be sure to mention Idealist in your application.
To apply for this position submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line PAC Manager. The cover letter should be concise and compelling…