About the Organization
Pivot Learning is a nonprofit organization of K-12 education experts working shoulder-to-shoulder with districts, charter management organizations (CMOs) and schools to address the biggest challenges they face. We partner with education leaders at all levels and provide them with the knowledge, skills and support proven to strengthen educational systems and transform teaching and learning.
About the Position
We are currently seeking an experienced entrepreneurial leader to serve as a Director for our innovative Beyond High School Initiative, which supports secondary school communities to redesign their schools to provide all students with college and career opportunities. Beyond High School is grounded in the Linked Learning approach which integrates rigorous academics that meet college-ready standards with sequenced, high-quality career-technical education, work-based learning, and supports to help students stay on track. Unlike traditional school redesign or turnaround approaches, Beyond High School is a community-centered design process that includes educators, workforce partners, higher education partners, parents, students, and community members. The goal is to establish and implement a long-term vision for secondary transformation.
The successful candidate must be able to lead the development of the next stage of Beyond High School. Beyond High School uses a user-centered design approach, uniquely blending a bottom-up, community-centered approach with school redesign, turnaround and transformation. This position would contribute to all aspects of the program development, implementation, and sustainability. The ideal candidate would be committed to Pivot’s mission, and have strong program development and management skills, including training and management of service delivery. S/he must be able to successfully build long term relationships with partner districts and schools. The candidate should also have experience working in or with schools, districts or charters at a leadership level and should have experience in Linked Learning and/or high school redesign and preferably user-centered design. The ideal candidate is an entrepreneurial leader with excellent communication and change management skills.
This position is preferably based out of our Oakland office, with regular travel to our project sites.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Leading the development of the programmatic vision and project scope as we move into the third year of this project.
· Leading the successful execution of the project, including working directly with high schools on issues of redesign and designing career pathways.
· Expanding the reach and impact of Beyond High School and increasing the number of schools in the network.
· Building and maintaining strong relationships with school, district and CMO partners and potential partners.
· Developing cutting-edge tools and other relevant content to build program.
· Developing our Beyond High School suite of products and services.
· Supervising other project staff, including managing the training, learning opportunities, and on-going support of service delivery staff for the short and long term.
· Working with other senior leaders to raise the profile of the program. This could include creating communications and/or writing white papers, articles and blogs on relevant topics, or representing Pivot externally at an event, conference or meeting.
· Working with relevant staff to assess programmatic impact and make program refinements to ensure the highest quality implementation and positive impact.
· Providing regular progress updates and regularly collaborating with necessary Pivot main office staff.
· As relevant, managing all technology and other project-related partnerships.
· Ensuring that project work is captured in ways to ensure sustainability and scalability. This includes: Leading or contributing to innovative product development processes that embed key components of design thinking and developing tools and other content.
· Designing, organizing, and facilitating Pivot events, as well as presenting Pivot’s work at various conferences.
Required Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
· Extensive Linked Learning and high school design experience
· Ability to work with senior district leadership
· School leadership experience
· School district experience
· Strong project management skills, including the ability to set priorities, track multiple timelines and budgets, manage complex projects, work in a fast-paced environment and take on complex problems with a collaborative, creative and strategic approach.
· Ability to develop the highest quality program, content and trainings, including excellent written, verbal and presentation skills, and the ability to translate complex ideas into clear language for a wide range of audiences.
· Superb facilitation skills, including the capacity to facilitate virtual meetings and other virtual supports successfully.
· Strong analytic skills.
· Successful experience managing staff and developing people.
· Experience developing content and facilitating learning experiences for adult learners.
· Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with diverse groups and individuals.
· Demonstrated ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment.
· A commitment to the work of Pivot Learning and a desire to continually broaden and deepen the organization's impact.
· Willing and able to travel regularly to project sites.
Desirable Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
· Experience in or knowledge of California and national education policy, public education reform and public sector change
· Experience with designing and/or implementing technology solutions to meet diverse needs, particularly in the field of education
· Research or program evaluation experience and skills
· Master’s degree or higher
Compensation and Benefits
Pivot Learning offers a competitive compensation package, including medical/dental/vision insurance, 403b, vacation leave, sick leave, and 15 paid holidays. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Level of Language Proficiency
English is required.
Multi-lingual is a benefit.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you would like to apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate the position title in the subject line of the email for the fastest consideration. In your cover letter, please comment on how your skills and experience are a good match for this position, your salary requirements, and where you heard about this position.