Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org.
The High Level
The Development Operations Manager (DOM) is part of a team of fundraisers and relationship builders working together to support Reading Partners’ strategic growth plan through fundraising. The Development Operations Manager’s main roles are to support the achievement of regional fundraising goal in close partnership with the local development team by leading on grant writing for foundation and corporate sources, managing internal development operations and communications while also supporting a portfolio of relationships that s/he cultivates and stewards effectively. Reporting directly to the Development Director in San Francisco Bay Area region, the Development Operations Manager leads on the regional institutional grants management, oversees pipeline management, effectively utilizes the Executive Director and Development Director to support donor cultivation and stewardship, and oversees prospect research. The Development Operations Manager also drives development operations internally for events, donor written communications, and manages a team member to ensure excellent data management and operations. The Development Operations Manager is a highly collaborative, detail-oriented, compelling writer and driven relationship builder, excited by both higher-level strategy and on-the-ground operational work.
What you’ll do:
The Development Operations Manager oversees institutional grants management, writing, and reporting to achieve $2.77MM fundraising goal by June 30. 65% of the region’s revenue comes from foundations.
- Write all grants for the region, ensuring they are compelling and persuasive, and aligned with Reading Partners quality standards.
- Track deadlines and ensure timely completion of materials to support institutional funding including but not limited to cultivation touch points, proposals, attachments, and reports.
- Support executive and development director in relationship development with institutional, individual, and corporate funders.
Drive regional development operations by...
- Produce detailed reports and ensure a streamlined communication strategy internally and with key external stakeholders.
- Oversee development systems and track progress against goals in Salesforce, effectively utilizing reports and CRM tools.
- Managing event logistics for key fundraising and donor stewardship events.
In close collaboration with the Executive Director and Development Director, support all external revenue activities to meet or exceed annual fundraising goals for the entire region. Ensure the region meets/ exceeds fundraising goals by...
- Drafting communication with individual and corporate donors
- Coordinating individual annual appeal campaigns
- Supporting development work with regional board of directors
How you’ll do it:
- Demonstrate a proficient ability to conduct research, to prospect, and to drive ongoing development efforts in rapidly growing organizations, particularly in San Francisco Bay Area region.
- Demonstrate a strong detail orientation, accuracy, and ability to develop compelling reports and communications to be used internally and externally.
- Execute all work in a highly organized, analytical, and data driven manner.
- Effectively write high-quality donor communications that demonstrate deep knowledge of our program and promote our mission.
- Oversee strategy and production of monthly newsletter and other external communications
- Quickly establish credibility when promoting Reading Partners to external audiences. Demonstrate a high degree of comfort and poise with donors, corporations, and prospects.
New Revenue Generation:
- Demonstrate excitement to steward and leverage relationships that result in meeting or exceeding target fundraising goals. Boast an entrepreneurial spirit and actively seek to deepen current donor relationships and forge new ones.
- Demonstrate the ability to write customized and compelling grant reports, proposals and letters of intent. Through exceptional writing, serve as an ambassador of Reading Partners.
- Positively collaborate with, and lead internal project teams through excellent project management.
- Manage an AmeriCorps VISTA to deliver on a high volume of operational needs for the development department including grant writing, meeting brief creation, external communications, event planning, prospect research, and data entry.
- Demonstrate experience in stakeholder relationship development. Regularly deliver convincing messaging and tailored experiences.
- Demonstrate a genuine joy in connecting with donors and stakeholders.
- Internally, establish highly collaborative relationships with all team members.
- Demonstrate a hunger to learn, grow, support, and add great value. Regularly seek to understand all aspects of our model to convey externally.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- You have 3+ years of increasing responsibility in a development or related role
- Are an exceptional and persuasive communicator, verbally and in writing
- Are achievement-oriented and have a demonstrated track record of achieving aggressive fundraising goals
- Boast a deep belief in our mission
- You have been a successful people manager for at least 1 year
- Root your work in our core values
- Ability to prove eligibility to work in the U.S. legally
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service alum/alumna
- Have a high degree of comfort with Salesforce or other fundraising database
- Experience work in education or literacy
Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt position.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, 403(b) option, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us.
The other things you need to know
- Travel: This position is flexible in location between our San Francisco and Oakland, CA offices. It may involve some travel throughout San Francisco and the East Bay.
- Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, and eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment.
- Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers and staff. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and how your past experience has prepared you for this role. Please include your salary needs.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries, please.