114 Turnpike Road
Budget Buddies Executive Director Job Description
Budget Buddies seeks to reduce the number of women and their families who live on the economic margins by improving their financial skills, behavior, and confidence. Serving low-income women through partnerships with local social service agencies, we help women improve their lives and the lives of their families through greater economic stability, sustained employment, increased educational opportunities, and better housing security.
We are a nonprofit located in northeast Massachusetts, seeking an innovative, enthusiastic, and dedicated leader who has a compelling vision and desire for refining and expanding the Budget Buddies program, leading more low-income women to financial empowerment. This person will be a passionate advocate for the Budget Buddies’ mission and will inspire others to support its impact. Reporting to the Board, the Executive Director will provide strategic leadership, creativity, management, and direction for Budget Buddies, and pursue a clear and impactful vision for the organization.
Our ideal candidate demonstrates a significant depth of skill, experience, and knowledge in the following areas:
Professional Leadership Qualities
● Leadership and Vision: Provide inspiration, leadership and support to the Board, staff, volunteers, donors, stakeholders, and other Budget Buddies supporters. Drive the growth of Budget Buddies through new initiatives, updated and adaptive programming, and partnerships.
● Sustainability and Growth: Operate a fiscally sound organization, and coach a strong senior leadership team that executes Budget Buddies’ strategic plan to grow the impact of the organization through regional expansion. Collaborate with Board and senior staff to establish and perfect metrics for program results and financial performance.
● Fundraising: Understand the dynamics of effective fundraising programs and the role of the Executive Director in fundraising efforts. Cultivate relationships with key funders in the community and surrounding region and secure financial support from foundations, corporate donors, and individual donors.
● Relevancy: Work with senior staff to address the needs of the diverse populations that Budget Buddies serves. Understand the cycle of poverty and struggles of low-income women. Is aware of the dynamics that facilitate change. Support a collaborative and adaptive culture by encouraging staff to focus on developing a highly capable organization that is able to meet the needs of an ever-changing population.
● Relationships: Build strong and lasting relationships that translate into successful collaborations, impactful partnerships, and fundraising results. Deliver excellence through personal accountability, motivation, and engagement.
● Communication and Outreach: Act as spokesperson and face of Budget Buddies. Elevate Budget Buddies’ mission, presence, and brand through public speaking, networking, and other relevant events/outlets.
● Governance: Understand nonprofit governance and support the Board’s development as Budget Buddies’ governing body. Able to frame issues for Board review, discussion, input, and action. Advocate for the Board’s development, evaluation, and performance.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 to 8 years of proven leadership experience in social-service, nonprofit, or corporate sectors along with at least 3 years in a nonprofit; understand how to problem solve creatively and address change in a fast-paced organization; demonstrate success in operating a financially viable and sustainable organization; have experience building stable relationships with staff, community partners, volunteers, stakeholders, funders, and donors; and have knowledge and experience with nonprofit fundraising, strategies, and practices.
As the face of Budget Buddies, the Executive Director must have strong verbal and written communication skills.
Essential Job Duties
1) Board Governance: Work with board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
● Lead Budget Buddies in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission.
● Communicate effectively with the Board and provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
● Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Work with Director of Operations to develop resources sufficient to ensure the financial health, growth, and integrity of the organization.
● Oversee fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
● Cultivate external financial support through fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support Budget Buddies’ mission.
● Plan and operate annual budget.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Work with board and senior staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, marketing and community outreach.
● Lead strategic planning and implementation to ensure that Budget Buddies can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
● Enhance the visibility of Budget Buddies through active engagement in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations.
● Oversee the creation and execution of the Budget Buddies marketing plan to ensure a consistent message and image is communicated to the public.
● Serve as Budget Buddies’ primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
● Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the service region and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance Budget Buddies’ mission.
4) Organization Operations
● Hire, retain, and engage qualified staff.
● Review and approve all contracts and agreements entered into and on behalf of the organization.
● Create, refine, and maintain employment and administrative policies and procedures that solidify a foundation for intentional growth.
● Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Budget Buddies is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class. Knowing its importance to the success of our work, Budget Buddies is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we aspire to build a diverse staff team and community, including groups that are traditionally underrepresented among our sector leadership.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Instructions to Applicants
Please send resume and cover letter that includes your salary requirements to EDSearch@budgetbuddies.org. Names and contact information of three references will be required when contacted.
Initial review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applicants are received.