POSITION TITLE: Director of Disaster Response & Resilience Planning
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Rural LISC
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Exempt / Full Time
What We Do
With residents and partners, LISC forges resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across America – great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise families.
Strategies We Pursue
- Equip talent in underinvested communities with the skills and credentials to compete successfully for quality income and wealth opportunities.
- Invest in businesses, housing and other community infrastructure to catalyze economic, health, safety and educational mobility for individuals and communities.
- Strengthen existing alliances while building new collaborations to increase our impact on the progress of people and places.
- Develop leadership and the capacity of partners to advance our work together
- Drive local, regional, and national policy and system changes that foster broadly shared prosperity and well-being.
Over the last 40 years, LISC and its affiliates have invested approximately $22 billion in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility, community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize underinvested communities. Headquartered in New York City, LISC’s reach spans the country from East Coast to West Coast in 36 markets with offices extending from Buffalo to San Francisco. Visit us at www.lisc.org
Rural LISC was established in 1995 and currently serves 92 partner organizations in 45 states and Puerto Rico, comprising a service area of more than 2,100 counties. Our mission statement captures our vision and approach:
Rural LISC believes in rural America. We are committed to providing support for our communities, making them good places to live, work, do business, innovate and raise families. We believe that nonprofit community organizations play an essential role in achieving this mission. Rural LISC is dedicated to building the capacity of these groups and increasing their production, by generating resources and investing in their work.
Rural LISC is committed to building the capacity of our community-based partners, particularly in the areas of: access to capital, broadband and infrastructure, disaster planning and resilience, workforce development and place making. We support these investment areas through program located throughout the country. Each program staff position manages relationships and provides technical assistance to a portfolio of established and emerging community-based partners.
As part of our mission to strengthen disaster planning and response, Rural LISC seeks a Director of Disaster Response and Resilience Planning to strengthen and grow our community-based economic development vision in partnership with national LISC. Working under the direction of the Vice President, the Director will work to implement 3 primary workflows: 1). Training and materials development for partner organizations; 2). Cultivating and developing consulting and contract opportunities 3). Providing technical assistance, thought leadership and capacity development support to partner organizations and partner agencies/departments.
- Work collaboratively across the LISC system and within the Rural LISC team to drive the success of LISC’s disaster recovery and resilience programming efforts in rural communities and ensure programmatic delivery.
- Participate as a member on HUD Distressed Cities Technical Assistance program teams as assigned by LISC’s Government Investments and Technical Assistance Program.
- Working with LISC collaborators, opportunistically pursue state and federal contracts that award disaster funds from EDA, USDA, and FEMA with a focus on community development, workforce development, capacity training and economic development strategies to rural areas. Work across the LISC network to identify, develop, collaborate, and coordinate RFP responses.
- Opportunistically pursue consulting contracts with prime/major sub-contractors to federal contracts related to disaster planning and response with a focus on rural-based community development needs.
- Work with Rural LISC’s community development partners to advocate around critical recovery issues (with a focus on community development and recreation) and help develop an effective long-term recovery/resiliency strategy in communities impacted by economic and natural disasters.
- Provide technical assistance to Rural LISC’s partners in navigating the government and private sector disaster relief and recovery system.
- Create and manage a formal peer-mentoring program for Rural LISC partners as it relates to disaster response and resilience planning.
- Stay abreast of policy, regulatory, and best practices in disaster recovery policies and work to advocate for any needed policy or regulatory needs in concert with the Rural LISC team and national LISC policy team.
- Maintain strong internal and external relationships and knowledge of FEMA and EDA
- Manage and oversee a portfolio of non-profit CDCs and provide on-going grant management, technical assistance, outreach and follow-up.
- Assist Rural LISC Team with grant writing/RFP responses as needed.
- Participate in providing, awarding and monitoring capacity building grants to enable Rural LISC’s partners to conduct outreach to residents in affected areas and connect them with public and private services and financial support; conduct community assessments; strengthen partnerships with local government agencies, federal agencies, and other first responders and service delivery agencies; and address housing and other community needs.
- Represent LISC at events, convenings, and conferences.
- Travel as needed to impacted regions and to manage a portfolio of community based partner organizations
- Performs additional duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university.
- Minimum 10 years experience in community development sector with a focus on disaster planning, resilience and relief efforts.
- Must have past public and/or private sector disaster response experience and knowledge of public sector disaster funding allocation.
- Strong working knowledge of disaster programs including HUD’s CDBG-DR, EDA and USDA
- Strong working knowledge of Federal disaster regulatory and policy issues.
- Exceptional project management skills essential – must be able to track and manage multiple projects on a tight timeline.
- Ability to lead and/or serve in key roles on LISC TA teams to provide programmatic disaster management/planning subject matter expertise on key federal programs within politically charged or otherwise challenging environments.
- Experience designing, implementing, and evaluating housing and community development programs with federal, state, local, and private sector entities.
- Experience conducting needs assessments, in-person trainings and webinars.
- Experience with monitoring and compliance on federal grants and grant reporting follow-up.
- Experience delivering onsite and remote TA assistance.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication.
- Adept at using technology to facilitate meetings and events.
- Bi-lingual in written and oral Spanish strongly preferred.
- Comfort and adaptability working on a “virtual” team, collaborating and communicating with staff both in-person and remotely (e.g. via phone, e-mail, webinar, etc.) is essential
- Flexibility in dealing with a diverse range of individuals and organizations, including but not limited to residents, community development organizations, public agencies, and private developers.
- Travel is required. Must have a willingness to travel to recovery sites often (when travel conditions permit)
- Position office is virtual so office location is flexible within the USA
- Between 30-40% travel is required when public health mandates permit.
- LISC Offers a competitive compensation package and excellent fringe benefits
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume via e-mail to: RuralLISC@lisc.org. Please include Director of Disaster & Resilience Planning in the subject line of your email.
LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE