2201 Washington Street
Commonwealth Corps Service Internship Position Description
BEST Hospitality Training
The mission of the Commonwealth Corps is to engage Massachusetts residents of all ages and backgrounds in service to strengthen communities, address unmet community needs, and increase volunteerism.
Commonwealth Corps members with BEST Hospitality Training will serve 10.5 months in a full-time capacity. What they have in common is a desire to put their talents and ideas to use in the service of their communities and the Commonwealth.
The mission of BEST Hospitality Training is to provide individuals with the education, skills and training to excel in the hospitality industry and in their personal lives. BEST will host two full-time Commonwealth Corps members who will support volunteer recruitment, mentoring, and management and workforce development programming in Boston, MA. The Commonwealth Corps Resource Specialist will establish a career navigation and resource referral program to provide economic maximization services to current clients, economic opportunity services to individuals ineligible for regular programming, and career ladder services for past clients who need assistance reaching their next steps.
- Complete a minimum of 1500 hours of service, serving through June 29, 2019.
- Attend all required Commonwealth Corps trainings and service events held by MSA (minimum of 6 total, post orientation) and BEST Hospitality Training, including a new
- member orientation on August 15 & 16, 2018.
- Participate in a minimum of 1 hour of MSA-related activities each week (in person or virtually).
- Attend weekly Team Meetings and group/individual supervisory meetings
- Attend professional development offerings as needed
- Co-lead Information Session following a defined schedule (TBD) to provide walk-in individuals with information regarding services offered at BEST
- Refer clients to community based organizations, skills training providers, career centers, etc. and follow up to ensure appropriate support
- Conduct online career exploration, resume building, completion of online applications, cover and thank you letter writing, and interviewing meetings with eligible clients
- Conduct benefit exploration and application processes meetings with eligible clients
- Document all resource referral and workforce development activity in Salesforce database
- Massachusetts residency and legal authorization to work in the United States
- 18 years of age or older
- Experience with or interest in volunteerism and community engagement
- Ability to balance service commitment with other family/work/school/community commitments in a sustainable way
- Understanding of marketing, outreach, and recruitment strategies
- Experience with mentoring, counseling, research and customer service.
- Understanding of workforce development practices such as career exploration, building resumes, cover letter writing, completing online applications, interviewing, and thank you letter writing
- Understanding of the hospitality industry
- Understanding of communities in which they will be serving
- Microsoft office programs competency
- Stipend of $550 every other week while in service, up to $13,200 minus taxes and withholdings;
- Health insurance (individual coverage only);
- Completion award of up to $2,500 upon successful completion of service, minus taxes
- and withholdings;
- Training and other professional development opportunities;
- Limited reimbursement for travel to Corps-wide MSA-sponsored activities;
- Limited travel reimbursement from their host site for certain service-related travel away from their usual service location, according to that agency's policies;
- Monthly MBTA pass (worth approximately $85/month)
- The opportunity for at least 10 (full-time) days of planned absences (may include holidays);
- Opportunity to join with others with a common sense of purpose as part of the Commonwealth Corps service internship program.
Please note that receipt of these stipends/benefits may impact an individual’s eligibility for certain public benefits.
Term of Service:
- Position Start Date: August 15, 2018
- Position End Date: June 29, 2019
- Service commitment will average 38-40 hours per week to be served M-F between the hours of 9AM to 8PM.
- Members will be required to serve a combination of daytime/evening hours including a minimum
- of two days a week of evening service.
- Final schedule will be determined based on selected members’ schedule availability and agency’s programmatic needs. This determination will be made after an open discussion between candidate and immediate supervisor.
- Member will serve out of the Medford office once a week. The remaining days will be served out of our Dudley office. Member may be requested to serve out of the Medford office during special events.
- To apply, submit a cover letter and resume as soon as possible, and no later than May 30, 2018 to Aisha Necoechea, Workforce Development Strategist at anecoechea@BESThtc.org
Accepted members will be required to undergo a criminal offender and sexual offender background check.
BEST Hospitality Training will recruit and select persons in all positions to ensure a diverse and inclusive climate without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, color, political affiliation, creed, national origin, marital status, or any other status as protected by federal, state, and local laws. BEST Hospitality Training welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities and will make reasonable accommodations for interviews and for service upon request.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply