Details: Monthly salary (commensurate with experience) including health care coverage.
Global Citizen Year seeks a high-energy, engaged youth development professional to join our cohort of Team Leaders in Ecuador. Our Team Leaders are responsible for managing a cohort of Fellows and a portfolio of local partners within a specific region. As the primary interface between our organization, our Fellows, and our local partners, Team Leader roles are fast-paced, challenging, and uniquely rewarding.
Reporting to the Hub Manager, the Ecuador Team Leader will provide first line support, coaching, and mentorship to a team of up to 12 Fellows – diverse high school graduates from around the world who have been selected for their resilience, idealism, and potential as future leaders. The Ecuador Team Leader will work in Azogues, Cañar or Otavalo, Imbabura, and be responsible for managing Fellows, relationships with local host families, apprenticeship partners, trainers, and other stakeholders throughout each program cycle.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
1. Fellow Support and Coaching
• Promote a strong and healthy team dynamic among the Fellows cohort while nurturing growth and learning for each Fellow.
• Serve as a role model and primary support to Fellows during their 8-month in-country experience, primarily through monthly site visits and one-on-one coaching sessions to help them identify and achieve their personal goals and to translate those into meaningful engagement opportunities in their host communities.
• Proactively integrate Global Citizen Year values, learning objectives, and training methods into your Team Leading style and outcomes.
2. Fellow Training and Evaluation
• Support planning and facilitation of the fast-paced, intensive Fellow in-country trainings (2-4 week Program Launch and Training Seminars every 6 weeks).
• Help execute ongoing evaluation of Fellow learning and impact on local partners, to inform mid-course corrections and propose improvements for future years.
• If needed, be available to participate in Global Launch and Re-entry Training in California (approximately 2 weeks in late August and mid-April, respectively).
3. Risk Management
• Carry out in-country Emergency Response Protocols in any emergency or incident involving Fellows or staff.
• Proactively analyze inherent risks to Fellow safety and security and continually strengthen local Risk Management Systems.
• Supervise and address behavioral concerns with Fellows or local partners in accordance with Global Citizen Year protocols and values.
4. Relationship Management and Program Development
• Support program set-up, including selection and training of local partners (homestay families, apprenticeship supervisors, and other community representatives) before the arrival of a cohort of fellows, and throughout the year as needed.
• Proactively manage a network of in-country relationships with collaborative organizations and local partners to enable quality program implementation and growth that respond to Fellow, Global Citizen Year, and local partner needs.
• Support planning and implementation of a strategy to increase Global Citizen Year’s presence and reach in Ecuador.
5. Program Administration
• Participate in team meetings and planning sessions.
• Assist organization-wide initiatives around admissions, training, communications, etc.
• Independently perform administrative tasks including monthly expense and field reports.
You are looking for a job that taps into your personal leadership potential. You’re thirsty to work with an organization that gives you significant responsibility and personalized training that will help you move toward becoming the leader and professional you want to be in this world.
You are energized when put in your “stretch zone”. You’re up for a challenge. You’re eager to learn. You enjoy working hard and are willing to do what it takes to get the job done. You want feedback. You want to be held to high standards of professionalism and performance.
You take great responsibility and pride in leading by example. You have a set of personal experiences as a burgeoning “Global Citizen” that you’d like to tap into and share with an amazing group of diverse 18-year olds, who will look up to you as a mentor, coach, and role model during a transformative period in their lives.
You are entrepreneurial, adaptable, and enjoy working independently and as part of a team. You are a skilled problem solver and self-starter. You are driven to find answers and thrive in ever-changing conditions. You are comfortable with ambiguity. You like forging your own path and working independently while ensuring your work is of benefit to others.
You believe in the value of what we’re doing because you personally have benefitted from international exchange. You have direct experience and skills leading or participating in rich cross-cultural interactions between Ecuadorian and international citizens. And you have the language and cultural knowledge to prove it.
Successful candidates will also possess the following attributes:
• Mission-driven: Demonstrated commitment to the mission and vision of Global Citizen Year.
• Exceptional cross-cultural communicator: Able to connect with individuals and build alliances between and among a diverse range of geographically dispersed constituents (students, community leaders, NGOs, etc.); is high energy, an empathetic listener, and inspires confidence and calm under pressure.
• Resourceful self-starter: Displays an entrepreneurial spirit and thrives in a fast-pace, start-up environment; is comfortable with ambiguity, rapid change and able to troubleshoot independently while continually building capacity and improving processes.
• Adventurous and active: Comfortable traveling on public transportation and staying in modest settings, enjoys adventures and physical, outdoor activities.
The following are strongly preferred:
• Working with international teens: Experience and skill as a teacher / role model for international teens (17-18 years old).
• Training facilitation and curriculum development: Experience developing and facilitating experiential-learning curriculum, employing interactive, didactic, and field-based methodologies, with relevant knowledge of current trends in global development and effective leadership to incorporate in Fellows training accordingly.
• IT systems knowledge: Microsoft Office, GoogleApps, Salesforce, Box
• Certified as Wilderness First Responder: Experience and skill in assessing injuries and illnesses in a remote setting and in making emergency response decisions.
The ideal candidate for this position is an Ecuadorian national who has lived abroad for at least one year or a non-Ecuadorian who has lived in Ecuador for at least one year.
Terms: This is a contract position, with possibility of conversion to full-time based on performance and organizational need.
Location: Azogues, Cañar or Otavalo, Imbabura
Start date: May 1st, 2018
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter at this link. In your cover letter, please indicate how you learned of the opening, provide 3 references, and the date you would be available to begin work in Ecuador.
Global Citizen Year is an equal opportunity employer, and we strive for our staff to reflect the diverse community we serve. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.