54 Nagle Avenue
Do you want to be part of a thriving and nurturing human services organization that constantly strive to build a more inclusive and accepting environment?
Are you a strong advocate of human rights and people with disabilities?
Join a larger community of caring professionals where you can make a difference in the lives of people with special needs, while growing in your career and having fun doing meaningful work!
Established in 1917, YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood is a not-for-profit organization that welcomes people of diverse ethnicities. We offer a wide range of educational, recreational and social services programs to enhance the quality of life of the people we serve. From topnotch early childhood education and youth development programs to innovative senior center services, there’s always something for everyone at the Y!
Exciting roles are in store for you!
· You will be part of Y’s young and vibrant Youth & Family Department Leadership Team.
· You will develop, implement and manage the inclusion of youth with special needs into the full spectrum of Y’s youth programming.
· You will have significant roles in Y’s after-school program (Be Me) and summer camp (Camp Twelve Trails).
Your typical day or week may include:
· Leading, training and supporting all staff members working with youth with special needs
· Conducting intakes and evaluations of potential participants and their families, who are entering the Y’s programs
· Providing direct support and working with youth with special needs through the development and implementation of accommodations and modifications
· Talking to parents and community members, and keeping them engaged
· Brainstorming with the leadership team, staff members, and other departments to develop and implement services based on expressed needs
· Representing the Y at UJA-Federation Disabilities Task Force Meetings
· Assisting in identifying external funding sources and in ensuring operational efficiency of the department
This exciting job might be for you if:
· You can lead, mentor, and work collaboratively with a broad spectrum of staff, volunteers, and program participants
· You have expertise in child development, behavior management, special needs program development and staff management
· You manage your time and organize your tasks remarkably.
· You communicate clearly in English. You write well, and you can explain just about anything to anyone!
· You enjoy, and you are proficient in the use of technology and social media.
To land this job, you need to have:
· Master’s degree in Social Work, Education, Developmental Disabilities, or related disciplines
· Three years of successful work experience with youth with disabilities in inclusive settings
· Three years of demonstrated experience in supervising and leading others
You are extra awesome if:
· You are willing to do some Sunday work
· You are able to work from Thursday to Sunday
Your core hours of work days are Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:30 pm with room for flexibility to accommodate some Sunday work.
Competitive benefits that will give you peace of mind:
· Health Insurance
· Generous Paid Time Off
· Retirement Plan
· Optional 403b Plan
· Life Insurance
· Flexible Spending Account
· Commuter Benefit Plan
· Free Y Fitness Center/Gym Membership
Minimum Education Required