Domestic Violence Initiative Staff Attorney
- Job posted by HIAS and Council Migration Service of Philadelphia
2100 Arch Street
Job Title: Full-time Domestic Violence Initiative Staff Attorney
Supervisor: Domestic Violence Initiative Supervising Attorney
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
Driven by the Jewish value of welcoming the stranger, HIAS Pennsylvania provides legal, resettlement and supportive services to immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers from all backgrounds in order to assure their fair treatment and full integration into American society. HIAS Pennsylvania advocates for just and inclusive public policies and practices.
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION
HIAS PA seeks a staff attorney to spearhead the Domestic Violence Initiative’s efforts to provide immigration legal services to survivors of interpersonal violence and sexual assault in Chester County. The position includes assisting survivors in VAWA Self-Petitions, U and T visas, and immigration matters, training and coordinating with staff of local social services agencies, educating and conducting outreach to community members, and advocating with various stakeholders, including law enforcement agencies. Some immigration legal services experience preferred. Spanish language fluency is required. The candidate must also have a valid driver’s license, as they will be required to meet with clients at pre-determined sites in Chester County. The ideal candidate will also have prior experience working with survivors of interpersonal or sexual abuse.
1. Direct Legal Services: The attorney will represent clients in immigration matters with a special focus on domestic and sexual violence-based applications for relief including VAWA, U Visa and others. The attorney will represent individuals before the Department of Homeland Security and the Executive Office for Immigration Review. The attorney will meet with clients at HIAS Pennsylvania and make site visits to social service agencies in Chester County.
2. Training and coordinating with staff of social service providers: The attorney will train the staff of Chester County social service agencies to identify potential clients. The attorney will develop and implement screening and referral protocols for newly identified service providers, while maintaining protocols with existing partners. The attorney will coordinate with staff of service agencies to schedule appointments, compile evidence, and make necessary referrals.
3. Education and Outreach to Stakeholders: The attorney will identify and educate stakeholders in Chester County, including social and legal services providers, law enforcement agencies, and others working with immigrant survivors of interpersonal violence regarding their legal rights. The attorney will collaborate with stakeholders in encouraging the development of appropriate policies for immigrant survivors of interpersonal and sexual abuse. They will also do outreach in immigrant communities to provide information on immigration relief for immigrant victims of domestic violence and other forms of interpersonal violence.
4. Administrative: The attorney will be responsible for maintaining records for the Domestic Violence Initiative to facilitate reporting to grantors. The attorney will be responsible for meeting deliverables under various funding streams and coordinating with grant partners. As part of the legal staff, the attorney will also have responsibilities in training and supervising law students and volunteers.
The candidate should be passionate about HIAS PA’s mission, understand the organization’s roots in and relationship to the Jewish community, and have a demonstrated ability to work with diverse collaborators and stakeholders. In addition, the candidate should possess:
· JD degree and bar passage required
· Immigration legal services experience preferred.
· Experience working with immigrant survivors of interpersonal violence preferred.
· Special consideration will be given to applicants who have experience through law school clinical programs or public interest law organizations
· Bi-lingual Spanish-English speaker required
· Excellent verbal and written communications skills
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, database management and internet
· Excellent organizational and time management skills
· Ability to work in a team and work with diverse professionals and human service workers
· Ability to pay close attention to detail
· High degree of skill in preparing detailed reports to funders
· Ability to work with diverse populations and with sensitivity to the needs of trauma survivors
· Applicant must be able to drive and possess a valid U.S. driver’s licence.
HIAS PA is a fast˗paced environment with some traffic in the office and a moderate amount of noise. The office functions as a team with a high degree of collegiality. HIAS PA provides health care, life insurance and disability benefits after a probationary period. If you are interested in this position, send your resume and cover letter via email to Edwin Jimenez at email@example.com. The position will be open until filled.
HIAS Pennsylvania is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against anyone on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-lingual Spanish-English speaker required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send all CV, Cover Letter or Resume to Edwin Jimenez at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.