29-76 Northern Boulevard
The Nurse is a member of the staff within both Treatment Services (substance abuse) and The Better Living Center (mental health) clinics. They conduct medical and/or mental health assessments required by OASAS and/or NYS OMH, assists in utilization review of client charts and database, and wellness and health education groups.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct and document medical and/or mental health assessments;
- Review with counseling and psychiatric provider staff on client’s medical and/or mental health issues;
- Participate in case conferences and provides follow-up on recommendations by Medical Director. Ensures all documents reviewed are completed and signed;
- Work with staff to develop and conduct workshops on health/wellness related issues, such as smoking cessation, relapse prevention, and recovery-focused topics and provides diabetes management and diet and nutrition counseling and information;
- Provide referrals and follow up for clients that have immediate medical and/or mental health needs;
- Conduct quality improvement reviews on client files and database;
- Phlebotomy and specimen processing; coordinate all external laboratory urine drug toxicology test processing; conduct rapid testing for Hep C and HIV; random toxicology testing; administer IV drugs as are occasionally prescribed by the doctor or nurse practitioner.
Supervise interns and volunteers as required volunteers in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- RN degree from accredited school and a valid NYS license;
- Experience with medical issues related to substance use;
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in an outpatient clinic setting, preferably mental health and/or substance abuse related;
- Some work or internship experience in dealing with psychiatric issues, trauma or incarceration a plus;
- Strong computer skills, particularly in electronically entering case notes;
- Bilingual is a plus; and
- We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Travel Requirements – May require infrequent travel to our Harlem office for trainings and/or meetings.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Minimum Education Required