District of Columbia
B’NAI B’RITH INTERNATIONAL
Position: Assistant Director of Planned Giving
Department: Department of Planned Giving
Reports to: Director of Donor and Member Services
B’nai B’rith International is seeking an experienced, outgoing and personable candidate for our Assistant Director of Planned Giving position. From our Washington, DC office, this individual will perform a variety of duties to ensure that all aspects of the planned giving program, including revenue, continue to grow. To accomplish these goals, he or she will work closely with other staff members, primarily in the Donor Development, Fiscal Operations and Communications departments.
- Generates leads and follows-up with potential donors. Communicates with donors concerning their financial status and goals regarding charitable estate planning. Works with donors to establish their planned gifts, including transferring assets and preparing documentation.
- Establishes and maintains regular contact with current planned giving donors to develop relationships that will lead to future gifts.
· Travels to consult with potential donors and coordinate estate planning seminars, as well as other regional and local planned giving programs. Responsible for planning one seminar each year and assisting in the planning and logistics of other fundraising events.
- Serves as primary contact for individuals requesting information on donations, bequests, charitable gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts and other planned giving vehicles. Prepares paperwork involved in establishing and documenting planned gifts including charitable gift annuities and charitable remainder trusts.
- Oversees The 1843 Society legacy recognition program by maintaining and updating the list of donors and potential donors and sending out appropriate acknowledgements and certificates.
- Handles routine correspondence by mail, email and phone with estate attorneys who have notified B'nai B'rith of a bequest in a will or trust. Acknowledges bequests in writing and maintains estate files.
- Acts as primary liaison with endowment and scholarship fund managers. Manages distributions from, and additions to, our multi-million dollar endowment fund.
- Writes donor testimonial articles for magazine.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Processes all donations received by the planned giving department. Answers the telephone lines and email inquiries for the department and ensures they are handled or directed to the appropriate staff member. Acts as the primary backup for these responsibilities for the Department of Donor Development.
- Maintains and updates planned giving donor database for donors, foundations and estates.
- Handles routine copying, filing, mailing invoice requests, and inventory duties for the department. Prepares expense and travel authorizations, as well as other forms related to department operations.
All candidates for this position will have a four year college degree and will be highly organized, able to prioritize multiple tasks and work independently with minimal supervision. Prior nonprofit or finance experience required; planned giving experience preferred. Candidates should be familiar with the Jewish community, have experience working and communicating with seniors, and be willing to travel when necessary to meet with prospective planned giving donors. Knowledge of Microsoft Office, PG Calc and Enterprise CS (our development database program) is an integral part of this position and highly desired. Good written and verbal communications skills are necessary, as is the ability to work effectively with other departments and field staff.
Medical, Dental, Short & Long Term Disability, & 403b retirement plan,
Minimum Education Required