Want to enter the world’s greatest profession? Want to learn how to teach from high-performing teachers and earn a master’s degree from a best-in-class school?
ABOUT THE RELAY TEACHING RESIDENCY IN NEWARK
Relay Graduate School of Education is working in partnership with schools in Newark to offer aspiring K-12 teachers a unique opportunity to receive high-quality training at a school. Relay Teaching Residents are paired with a high-performing teacher who serves as a mentor and advisor for the entire first school year. Additionally, Residents receive extensive weekly training and deliberate practice through Relay, allowing for a structured, supportive and more sustainable on-ramp into the teaching profession. Relay’s school partners fully commit to the growth and development of each Resident with the explicit goal that upon successful completion of the first year, during which time Residents will be recommended for a Tennessee teaching license, each Resident will transition into a full-time teaching role while completing their Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree in the second year of the program. The Relay Teaching Residency is best suited for individuals who are passionate and committed to teaching as a long-term career path but who do not have any full-time teaching experience yet.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The role of the Resident will adjust based on the needs of the school partner, but duties and responsibilities will largely include:
- Ensuring academic achievement and student character development
- Developing teaching skills through regular feedback and coaching
- Providing individual or small group instruction for students
- Leading or co-facilitating an advisory or co-curricular activity
- Committing to constant professional and personal growth through working with a team of teachers
- Constantly assessing student progress and communicating progress to families and colleagues
- Modeling the school’s values in all communications with students, families and staff
- Developing plans and supporting administrative tasks in school
- Attending school and district professional development
- Attending all Relay program classes, completing all Relay class assignments, and maintaining good academic standing with Relay
- Participating in a weekly 30-60 minute check-in with Resident Advisor (aka mentor teacher) to determine learning goals, review lessons, and discuss support for the upcoming week
- Initiating own learning and developing in the teaching profession
- Building deep content expertise through intellectual engagement, grading and analysis of student work, and ongoing professional development
- Maintaining strong performance and professionalism within your school and as a Relay graduate student
First and foremost, Relay Teaching Residents in Newark must be passionate and committed to teaching, and eager to learn how to teach well. Additionally, Residents must possess the following:
- Demonstration of Relay’s core values of teamwork, respect, urgency and grit
- Extremely high level of professionalism
- Humility and desire to learn from others, including your school, Relay faculty, your students, and the diverse communities where you will teach
- Unyielding commitment to the growth and development of your students and yourself
- Ability to work efficiently, independently and strategically
- A strong belief in the capacity of all students to learn and the ability of great teaching to change the trajectory of student learning
- A demonstrated passion for urban education and closing the opportunity gap
- Desire and commitment to teach in a K-12 setting for the long-term
- Bachelor’s degree with a 2.75 GPA or higher (degree must be conferred by June 30, 2016)
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus
Relay Teaching Residents in Newark will also need to demonstrate content knowledge prior to or during their first year of the Residency program, as demonstrated by 1) earning an undergraduate degree in their desired content area, or 2) completing 24 hours of undergraduate study in the desired content area, or 3) passing the Praxis II exam(s) in the desired content area.
Relay’s school partners serve as the employers of Relay Teaching Residents and provide Residents with salary and benefits commensurate with their individual school compensation structures.
Please note that Residents will be responsible for tuition expenses with Relay Graduate School of Education, which will be provided at deeply discounted rates. Some school partners may provide tuition assistance.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should apply directly to http://goo.gl/forms/qLUicfFNtp.
Upon acceptance into the Relay Teaching Residency in Newark, individuals will interview with a Relay school partner. Matriculation into the program is contingent upon being hired by a school partner.
Should you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Relay Graduate School of Education provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
Minimum Education Required