Middle School (5th - 8th) Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Teacher
- Job posted by Creative Minds International Public Charter School
3700 N. Capitol St. NW
Sherman Building #217
District of Columbia
Creative Minds International (CMI) PCS is currently seeking a Middle School STEM teacher who can provide highly engaging, rigorous, international and inclusive education plan that provides them with the knowledge and skills required for successful participation in a global society through a project- and arts-based international curriculum that fosters creativity, self-motivation, social/emotional development, and academic excellence. An ideal candidate will have experience as a classroom teacher, be familiar with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), Common Core Mathematics Standards, and have a passion for fostering inquiry and facilitating project-based learning for Middle School students.
CMI embraces an inclusive and child-centered approach to education that respects the integrity of each and every student. We believe in the importance of meeting the educational requirements of students with a diversity of backgrounds and learning styles. We are looking for a candidate who can prepare our students for success and emotional well-being in a globalized world.
The STEM Teacher provides rich, differentiated learning experiences for students with a diversity of learning levels (remedial to advanced). Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing rigorous, interdisciplinary instruction in Math and Science
- Merging the Next Generation Science Standards with IMYC standards and objectives to develop an engaging STEAM program for 6-8th-grade learners;
- Incorporating technology and engineering design cycle into lesson plans and learning experiences
- Differentiation and small group instruction planning to meet the needs of a diversity of learners;
- Establishing clear objectives and student outcomes for each science unit and lesson;
- Backward planning using student data from assessments to plan future projects and formal and informal assessments;
- Providing an inviting, exciting, and innovative learning environment;
- Meeting the needs, interests, and abilities for all students, including students with disabilities, ELL students, and those who are gifted and talented;
- Provide Developing lesson plans that draw content from CMIPCS professional development in the areas of arts integration and child development to reinforce student learning;
- Monitoring student progress in science through frequent formal and informal student evaluations recorded in portfolio assessments;
- Using a variety of instructional materials, resources, and experiences to enrich student learning;
- Providing educational opportunities that reflect an understanding of students’ unique sensory and information processing profiles;
- Using appropriate techniques and strategies that promote and enhance creative problem-solving and evaluative thinking of students;
- Communicating regularly with families to support the progress of students;
- Valuing the importance of play and providing opportunities for child-initiated explorations in the classroom throughout the day;
- Using effective, positive, and respectful interpersonal communication skills;
- Establishing positive relationships with colleagues, students, families and the community which reflect recognition of and respect for every individual;
- Commitment to professional growth and eagerness to learn
CMIPCS is a tuition-free school located in NW Washington, DC, authorized to serve students from preschool through 8th grade. Now in its fifth year of operation, CMI serves 341 students in Preschool (3-year-olds) through 6th grade. Beginning this school year, CMI expanded to include two 6th-grade classes, marking the opening of its new Middle School. Two sections of 7th grade will be added in 2017-2018 with 2 classes of 8th being offered in the subsequent year.
Our mission is to provide students with the foundational skills required for successful participation in a global society. CMI is a unique and dynamic working environment with a respectful and positive school culture. We offer a highly-engaging, international curriculum with project- and arts-based activities with an emphasis on STEAM that foster creativity, self-motivation, social and emotional development, and academic excellence.
Why join CMIPCS?
Our mission is to provide students with the foundational skills required for successful participation in a global society by offering a highly engaging, international curriculum with project- and arts-based activities that foster creativity, self-motivation, social and emotional development, and academic excellence.
At CMIPCS you will join a staff uniquely committed to a vision of inclusion and equity for all types of learners. At CMIPCS you will find a team of educators who deeply believe that all students can learn and will make a contribution to their community. Our dedication to Arts-Integration allows for a creative and collaborative atmosphere, as classroom lead teachers, support staff, and enlightenment teachers all work together to plan engaging and enriching content that weaves the Arts into all subjects. At CMIPCS, we take seriously the idea that “no significant learning occurs without a significant relationship.” Each of our educators, regardless of role or responsibility, is committed to seeking out best practices for delivering instruction and responding to the academic and social-emotional needs of all children. The CMIPCS teacher is empathetic and welcoming of mistakes (both academic and behavioral) because CMIPCS educators know that mistakes lead to learning opportunities if children are held to high standards.
CMIPCS offers an exceptional and dynamic working environment with a positive and supportive culture including small class sizes (approximately 20), higher than average adult to student ratios, weekly and monthly professional development, comprehensive and generous benefits including medical, dental, 401K (with employer contributions), short and long-term disability, life insurance, paid school holidays, personal and sick days, and parental and family leave, among others.
For more information about CMI, visit our website http://www.creativemindspcs.org/ and follow us on Twitter @cmipcs.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree required (M.A. or M.Ed. in Science Education or Special Education preferred);
- Possesses or is eligible for a valid District of Columbia Teaching Certificate or License (standard or provisional)/ Passed the Middle School Science Praxis (0439) and Principles of Learning & Teaching: Grades 5-9 (0623/5623).
- M.A. or M.Ed. in Science Education or Special Education
- Ability to design, build, and implement MakerSpaces (Scratch, LittleBits, OzoBots, 3D Printing, etc.)
- Familiarity with Project-based Learning
- Training in G-Suite for Education including Chromebook management
- Experience working with linguistically and ethnically diverse student populations and children with developmental differences;
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
A successful application will include a resume and a cover letter detailing relevant experience and qualifications for this position and be submitted using our careers portal:
We will only be contacting candidates selected for interviews and will require letters of recommendation and/or references for any candidates being considered for this position.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Creative Minds International PCS is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.