Who we are
D-tree International is a mission-driven digital health organization committed to transforming health systems and improving health outcomes in low and middle income countries by integrating digital technology solutions into health systems in innovative and effective ways. D-tree takes a systems thinking approach, using public health expertise coupled with a deep understanding of technology, to support partners to design, develop and implement programs that strengthen health systems and improve program efficiency and save lives. Our work is diverse, ranging from developing tools to support the government to engage with the private sector in Liberia, to an emergency referral system providing life-saving emergency transport to women and babies in Tanzania. We have worked in 12 countries with a variety of partners with funding from private foundations, the US Government, multilaterals and other governments.
Who you are
We are seeking a full time Accountant / Internal Auditor, based in the Boston area, to support the financial, human resource and administrative functions of a small but complex non-profit. This is a dynamic and challenging role requiring an individual with exceptional attention to detail, initiative and interest in international development.
You are professional, motivated, and a self-directed team player. You are someone who is just as comfortable traveling to D-tree country offices in East Africa to train colleagues on accounting best practices as you are sitting in a conference room in Boston representing D-tree to auditors. You function well in situations with ambiguity and are able to make decisions with partial information and push to deliver high quality work within deadlines.
What you will do
You will be an integral member of the expanding D-tree global operations team, supporting project managers and financial admin staff for our work globally. You will spearhead the organizational internal audit function for multiple funding sources and support our field teams to follow D-tree policies and procedures to ensure a timely month end close process is achieved every period. You will take a leading role on developing and improving on D-tree financial processes to support our growth.
Key Responsibilities include:
· Prepare financial reports, bank reconciliations and other general accounting functions
· Maintain accurate and up-to-date financials in accounting system, including internal review of field office transactions
· Review supporting back-up for a selection of transactions across our portfolio each month to ensure adherence to policies and proper documentation is in place
· Closely track level of effort for all project staff against budgets
· Work closely with grant, compliance and finance colleagues as well as program managers on program budget vs actual tracking
· Record accounts payable transactions ensuring proper approvals are in place and policies are followed
· Manage electronic filing system for accounting records for multiple offices
- Review monthly financial reports and provide feedback to the field offices on issues and corrections to the account data
- Assist with HR functions including payroll administration and staying abreast of labor laws for US based operations as well as country offices (currently Tanzania and Malawi – but potentially new locations during periods of growth and expansion)
- Coordinate with country office finance and administrative staff (currently three other individuals) to ensure compliance with D-tree policies, procedures and grant and contract terms
· With finance team, prepare and/or review financial reports to meet funding agency requirements
- Assist manage recurring and year-end reconciliations and audit schedules in preparation for annual audit
- Contribute to policy re-drafting and compliance measures
- Provide training and support to D-tree field teams on Quickbooks and D-tree financial policy and procedures
- Keep D-tree forms up to date and useful
- Inventory maintenance and management
- Respond to internal and external inquires in a timely and professional manner
What we are looking for
We are looking for a motivated, passionate individual who is willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to help our organization be successful. The following attributes are a general overview, but we will consider individuals who do not meet all of the details below if you have the right skillset and attitude.
· Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred (accounting, business management, public administration or related field)
· At least three years of experience in non-profit bookkeeping, accounting or administrative management with increasing levels of responsibility
· Familiarity and working knowledge of US Federal grant and contract regulations, international activities/ issues relevant to D-tree’s operations
· Excellent attention to detail (ability to pay attention to small details and focus on quality and consistency while also understanding the big picture)
· Excellent organizational skills and persistent follow through on tasks (both your own and tasks pending from colleagues)
· Must be able to work independently, multi-task, collaborate with a distributed team, be persistent and work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel
· Prior experience with Quickbooks
· Qualified to work in the US
· Desire and ability to travel internationally up to 10% of the time
· Comfortable working remotely and in a small office environment
· Experience in global non-profit administration preferred
· Accountability & Reliability - Takes ownership and responsibility for decisions, actions, and results; delivers on commitments.
· Initiative – Must display a sense of urgency to effectively and efficiently complete a varying workload in a timely manner. Can initiate actions independently, handles unexpected situations, and volunteers to assist others.
· Adaptability – Ability to adapt to change and respond to challenges positively. Able to manage a variety of different tasks as needed for the position. Can develop and / or learn new processes/systems quickly, and embraces the challenge of unfamiliar tasks.
· Problem Solving – Ability to proactively identify issues and take action by analyzing all the information skillfully to persistently purse positive outcomes. Uses sound judgment about when to take action and when to seek guidance.
· Compliance & Quality – Must ensure accuracy, meet established deadlines of work, produce a quality product and show commitment to continuous improvement efforts. Ability to learn, interpret, and comply with all organization policies and procedures.
· Collaborative - Brings a track record of working effectively with various and diverse individuals and groups, and a willingness to actively listen and invite different views and opinions across all levels of the institution to build alignment in support of a common goal.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email the following documents to email@example.com subject line: “Internal Audit & Accounting Officer”
1. Cover letter, clearly and concisely explaining how you meet each of the required skills and experience specified above.
2. Your current Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume, outlining your work history.
3. A work sample may be requested.