District of Columbia
Reports to: Managing Director, Policy and Research
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Full-time; Exempt
We’re looking for a Research Director to lead and manage a growing Policy and Research team here at the Hub Project.Our team produces persuasive, effective research materials that power and strengthen the Hub’s advocacy campaigns, all of which are dedicated to producing a more just and inclusive economy and society. We craft everything from internal analyses to products for public release. You’ll advise and guide our Research Managers and Associates, ensuring that the team is meeting our overall goals while encouraging professional development and growth among our staff.You’ll also serve in a similar role for a new, ongoing undertaking the Hub Project is in the process of launching and incubating. The project, tentatively titled the “Groundwork Collaborative,” will focus on advancing a coherent economic worldview within the broader progressive movement. We’ll work with partners from across the movement to weave a through line among efforts and policy ideas that too often seem disparate.
The project will have dedicated research and policy staff that you’ll also manage. Combined, you’ll lead a team of roughly 5 staff.This is a senior position that will play an integral, leadership role at both the Hub Project overall and as part of the new “Groundwork Collaborative” project. We need someone with a rare combination of policy chops, research skills, management talent, and creative vision.
As Research Director, you’ll…
- Manage both the overall Hub Project policy and research team and the research team dedicated to the new, ongoing project described above
- Mentor, guide, and develop the Research Managers and Associates, monitor and direct their workflow
- Ensure that all research products are high quality, effective, and timely
- Support the research and policy needs of our advocacy campaigns, and ensure that our advocacy campaigns are serving our policy goals
- Partner with the Managing Director and other senior team members to develop the research and policy strategy for the new economic worldview project
- Collaborate with Hub Project staff on other teams (digital, communications, campaigns) to anticipate their research needs.
- Work with your team to generate ideas for persuasive research products and supervise the execution of those products
- Perform other duties as assigned
- You have a bachelor’s degree or higher
- You’re comfortable with data analysis and translating academic research jargon into plain (and compelling) language
- You’re an excellent writer and editor, with an eye toward overall quality control
- You value management as a skill, and can’t wait to mentor and develop a strong team of staff
- You’re a pro at multi-tasking and working under tight deadlines in a dynamic environment
- You’re well-organized and live for the details
- You’re a creative problem-solver and you can see around corners
- You’re committed to a just, inclusive, and robust economy that delivers opportunity and dignity to all Americans
In addition, it would be a bonus if…
- You have an advanced degree in a relevant field such as economics, public policy, or political science
- You have experience managing and developing a team
- You’ve worked in public policy research, especially in a political, legislative or campaign context
- You’re deeply familiar with the progressive economic policymaking community
Launched in 2016, The Hub Project is a growing team of communicators, researchers, and organizers with experience in campaign strategy, digital, and polling and analytics.We believe in a country where everyone has the opportunity to succeed in our economy and participate in our democracy, and we make that vision a reality by partnering with advocacy groups to build creative and effective campaigns.
New Venture Fund Careers
The Hub is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential.The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
E-mail your resume and cover letter as PDF or Word attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled.Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from The Hub. Thank you for your interest.