1225 Eye St. NW
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Controller leads day-to-day Headquarter finance operations and supervises a Senior Accountant. The Controller has functional responsibility over general ledger accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and petty cash, organizational financial reporting and budget management. The Controller ensures that AIHA has the systems, controls and processes in place to support HQ operations and to ensure timely and accurate reporting and successful audits. The Controller supports the Program and field operations to ensure the HQ accounting systems and processes are in place to ensure timely and accurate donor reporting in compliance with donor requirements and successful donor audits (including Uniform Guidance). The Controller works closely with leaders and their staff, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can improve support of operations. This position is a key position in the finance department and will be a key advisor to the Director of Finance.
ESSENTIAL ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Responsible for leading and managing the month-end close process to ensure timely and accurate reporting.
· Preparation of internal reports for management and Board of Directors.
· Assists Director of Finance in reviewing and educating cost center managers regarding their department financial reports.
· Preparation of year-end financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
· Management of all HQ finance operational processes including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll, and Petty Cash.
· Supervise Senior Accountant and act as backup for General Ledger reconciliations and entries, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll and Petty Cash.
· Coordinate the annual independent audit process including financial statement audit and Uniform Guidance audit;
· Ensure appropriate internal controls in place related to HQ finance operations. Revise/update HQ finance policies and procedures as needed.
· Support field offices with technical accounting support as needed.
· Work closely with the Director of Finance in preparation of corporate annual budgets, forecasts, and mid-year budget reviews;
· Under the supervision of the Director of Finance, prepare appropriate and consistent cost allocations and rate calculations and support process of NICRA approvals.
· Promote compliance with relevant donor regulations (including USG regulations) and AIHA policies/ procedures.
· Prepare financial analysis as needed.
· Manage the accounting system (s) including system updates and improvements.
· Assist Director of Finance in the departmental strategic and annual planning and participate in a wide variety of special projects, reports and initiatives as required;
· Identify continuous improvement opportunities in processes and implement automated system improvements.
· Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required, CPA preferred.
· At least seven (7) years of experience in senior accounting role, including management of the accounting function of an organization, experience working as a Controller preferred, experience working in a non-profit preferred.
· At least two (2) years of experience supervising and mentoring staff.
· Advanced Excel spreadsheet skills required.
· Experience managing complex accounting systems. QuickBooks and MS Dynamics (formerly Solomon) experience preferred. Experience with ADP and Ezlabor timesheets preferred.
· Extensive knowledge and experience with donor project accounting.
· Experience with USG funding, familiarity with USG requirements including FAR and 2 CFR 200.
· Strong customer service orientation and communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Team player
· Detail-oriented and the ability to work in a meticulous, thorough, and precise manner
· Must be flexible and able to think on their feet and able to take the initiative where appropriate.
· Strong analytical skills.
· Regular attendance required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit cover letter (include salary expectation) and resume to HR@AIHA.com.