Reporting to the Deputy Director, the Finance & Operations Manager will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. A direct report to the Deputy Director, the Finance & Operations Manager will support presentations to the Board finance and audit committee and will work closely with the senior leadership team. S/he will serve as the “right hand” of the Deputy Director and play a key role in ensuring overall organizational efficiencies.
The Finance & Operations Manager will lead all day-to-day finance operations of a current budget of $1.8 million, including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivables, payroll, and grants administration. The Finance & Operations Manager will ensure Encounter has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The Finance & Operations Manager will work closely with program leaders to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations. S/he will partner with the Deputy Director to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, and IT functions.
- Oversee all accounts, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements; Maintains internal controls; Manages yearly financial audit.
- Responsible for bills/invoices and expense reports; Liaison to vendors and banks.
- Analyze financial data and present financial reports including cashflow forecasting; researches trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Support annual budgeting process.
- Oversee fundraising administration including maintaining income and fundraising records and managing acknowledgement.
- Generate financial reports for grants and ensure expenditures are aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period.
Administration & Human Resources:
- Primary administrator and coordinator of all HR related matters; Maintain personnel files; Ensure compliance with state and national laws.
- Oversee administrative aspects of hiring, orientation and departure/termination of employees including management of all associated paperwork; Assist with hiring and search processes.
- Manage payroll process with approval from Deputy Director; Manage administration of benefits packages including time off reporting.
Office Management and Operations:
- Oversee technical components of programs, including maintenance of online registration forms, coordination with travel agents, etc; Logistics support for events.
- Phone, mail, filing as needed; Maintain office calendars, materials and records;
- Schedule meetings, prepare materials, book rooms and liaise with caterer.
- Manage database (Salesforce) ensuring data is up to date; adjust systems and plug-ins as needed.
- Maintain website: Troubleshoot as needed, including back-end edits and coordinating with web developer.
Additional responsibilities and projects may be assigned as they arise.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience relevant to the position
- 4-6 years of experience in a finance and operations role, with a minimum of 2 years in budgeting and financial management, with proven track record of high quality work.
- Experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, and payroll.
- Experience in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting on foundation grants.
- Tech savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software, QuickBooks preferred.
- Experience effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management.
Qualities & Skills
- Integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to Encounter’s mission
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Superb project manager; A natural creative problem-solver with a “can-do” orientation; able to “manage up” effectively
- Proactive, takes initiative; Where systems or processes are not working, this person steps up to create new ones and follows through on implementation
- A driver who executes on all tasks and is accountable for their success
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers; Keen analytic skills, able to strategically interpret data
- Team player but able to work independently
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For immediate consideration, please send your resume and cover letter (PDF format) to email@example.com and indicate your name and "Finance and Operations Manager" in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.