Details: Weekly Stipend
Pease International Tradeport
112 Corporate Drive, Unit 3
Location: Portsmouth, NH
United Way's mission is to create positive, lasting change for people in need. We do this by focusing on the two foundations of better lives: financial opportunity and educational success. Within financial opportunity, our goals are that individuals and families have…
· Safe housing, healthy food, and quality child care
· A job that allows them to support themselves and their family
· Access to financial tools and coaching to help them build a better future
Within educational success, our goals are that children…
· Enter school ready to learn
· Develop critical social and academic schools
· Get the support they need to stay in school and graduate
We need your help to make this happen. As an AmeriCorps VISTA, you will be instrumental in providing capacity building support to United Way and its strategic nonprofit community partners to meet shared goals, better engage volunteers in meaningful activities, and increase the scale and reach of our impact. You will focus on United Way's signature projects within our Educational Success portfolio, honing your development skills (Women United) and managing programs focused on kindergarten readiness (Somersworth Ready Together), health and wellness (Coordinated School Health Program) and youth substance misuse prevention (Granite Youth Film Festival).
The United Way of the Greater Seacoast mobilizes community members throughout a 3 county region in addressing local needs. Family Financial Stability and Healthy Child Development are the key issues on which our United Way (located in Portsmouth, NH) is focusing resources. There are exciting events to be planned, and volunteers to be engaged in both areas of focus. The VISTA will work to engage volunteers to ensure children, particularly those from low-income families, enter kindergarten ready to succeed! VISTA members receive a weekly stipend, an education grant at the end of their service year, and other benefits. The time commitment is from July 2018 – July 2019.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The VISTA will:
- assist with United Way’s Signature Initiative “Somersworth Ready Together” focused on early care/education, parent/caregiver engagement, public awareness, and kindergarten readiness;
- build the capacity of “Women United” to meet the needs of those living in poverty in our community through programming and fundraising;
- plan and execute our Granite Youth Film Festival, a United Way signature event which is part of a larger body of work aimed at preventing substance abuse among middle and high school students;
- assist in the activities related to United Way’s Strategic Initiative “Coordinated School Health Program” which is a framework that promotes health and wellness throughout the K-12 curriculum in two communities (Farmington and Somersworth).
Most work will be performed Monday-Friday during business hours. Infrequently evenings and weekends will be required.
Education/Experience: College degree.
Desired skills and knowledge: Professionalism; Excellent oral and written communication skills including comfort with public speaking; comfort working with diverse populations; Motivated self-starter; Ability to work independently; Prior experience and success in developing and/or managing projects; Research skills; Facilitation skills; Proficient in use of Microsoft word, excel, power point; Comfort learning web-based technology; Social Media
Minimum Education Required