Details: $13 to $16 an hour DOE. Part Time, 12 to 20 hours a week, depending on funding.
Maxwell Street Legal Clinic
201 East Maxwell Street
Kentucky Equal Justice Center seeks a part-time Legal Assistant for its vibrant immigration law program at Maxwell Street Legal Clinic in Lexington. The Legal Assistant will help with client intake, file management, translations/interpreting and general administrative tasks.
Duties and responsibilities
The Legal Assistant will:
- Conduct client intake via telephone interviews in English and Spanish, as well as other languages through use of telephonic interpretation service
- Meet daily with program attorney to discuss client eligibility for Clinic’s services
- Schedule appointments with clients; refer clients to other service providers
- Translate documents between English and Spanish
- Provide interpretation between English and Spanish during client consultations
- Create files for clients and input data related to legal cases into case management software
- Perform various administrative tasks, e.g., answering calls, mailing closing letters, assisting with planning for fundraising events
The Legal Assistant should:
- Have strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Be fluent in Spanish and English
- Have excellent interpersonal skills
- Be comfortable working in a multi-cultural setting, sensitive to language and cultural issues
- Have excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- Have strong computer skills and excellent attention to detail
- Have some knowledge of internet communications tools
- Be a self-starter in developing and carrying out activities
- Be able to take initiative and work independently, as well as in a team
- Have some knowledge of low-income issues and a commitment to social justice, particularly immigrants’ rights
Additional language skills, as well as prior experience with immigration law, the immigrant community, and/or case management software are also strongly preferred.
Kentucky Equal Justice Center was formed in 1976 to work with all of Kentucky’s civil legal services programs on statewide issues and projects. Today, we are a flexible and responsive public interest advocacy organization with a wide variety of community partners. We convene statewide task forces in five areas of poverty law: consumer, family, housing, public benefits (including health care) and workers’ rights. Our work includes legal assistance, coalition building and policy advocacy in all these areas.
Maxwell Street Legal Clinic (MSLC) became a program of Kentucky Equal Justice Center in 2008. The Clinic was launched in 1999 by community volunteers to give free or low cost advice and assistance with immigration law to low-income people and their families. MSLC helps people fleeing persecution in their home countries; immigrant victims of domestic violence, human trafficking and other crimes; and Lawful Permanent Residents and U.S. citizens seeking reunification with immigrant family members.
Health and other fringe benefits not included.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent in English and Spanish. Other languages a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume and a list of three references to Leah Engle, Program Director Attorney Maxwell Street Legal Clinic. Email: email@example.com.
Please put “MSLC Legal Assistant” in the subject line of your email. For each reference, include a mailing address, phone number and email address.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Open until filled. Qualified candidates may be interviewed before the deadline.