180 Maiden Lane
Waterkeeper Alliance, an international environmental advocacy organization, seeks a dynamic, goal- oriented professional to strengthen and grow a global network of grassroots leaders protecting everyone’s right to clean water.
Location: New York, NY
Waterkeeper Alliance is a global movement uniting more than 300 Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates around the world, focusing citizen action on issues that affect our waterways, from pollution to climate change. Waterkeepers patrol and protect over 2.5 million square miles of rivers, lakes and coastlines in the Americas, Europe, Australia, Asia, and Africa. For more information please visit: www.waterkeeper.org and/or read The Riverkeepers by John Cronin and Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.
The Database Manager reports to the Deputy Director and coordinates the administration of the Salesforce database to maintain accurate, thorough donor and Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates records while also providing general administrative support. The Database Manager plays a crucial technical role in the department's daily operations which includes an annual fund, capital campaign, donor relations and frequent special events. S/he will proactively identify new donor prospects and qualifying existing donor prospects while producing easy-to-read queries/reports and maintaining database integrity.
Database Management & Reporting:
● In conjunction with Deputy Director, provide leadership and planning for development processes and procedures in areas of data entry practices, gift processing, database integrity, reporting, data analysis, event tracking, system enhancements, prospect tracking and moves management.
● Work collaboratively with appropriate team members to maximize efficient use of database to effectively address needs of specific areas including but not limited to Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates, campaign giving, leadership giving, donor relations, and special events.
● Generate reports, queries, and exports regarding donors and Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates. Provide database support to staff.
● Ability to analyze data to uncover trends and inform donor strategy.
● Provide weekly/monthly status reports on annual fund, capital campaign and various other initiatives.
● Maintain data integrity, clean up inconsistent data. Gift Entry, Acknowledgments & Reconciliation:
● Receive and enter all gifts into database with appropriate coding; manage check, credit card, stock, online donation and other gift processes.
● Track monthly sustainers.
● Produce acknowledgement letters/tax receipts while checking for grammatical/typographical errors and ensuring compliance with IRS regulations.
● Manage the department's hard copy and electronic donation files in accordance with organization’s record retention policy.
● Produce semi-monthly revenue reports for department.
● Complete monthly reconciliation reports.
● Provide reports and other data to the Operations and Finance Department in compliance
with IRS requirements.
Special Projects & Events:
● Provide support to phone-a-thons including preparing calling cards, setting up, and tracking results. Solicit constituents over the phone as needed.
● Organize and maintain event, direct mail, and magazine distribution lists. Update demographic information, and take action on each piece of returned mail.
● In collaboration with development team, establish new funds and campaign crediting guidelines. Work to ensure campaign reports are accurate for internal/external purposes.
● Support the Development Office’s role in audit process.
● Coordinate uploads from third parties such as event production and direct mail teams.
● Set up events in the database, record attendees, track payments and other event-related
details, and generate nametags and reports as needed.
● Support and staff Waterkeeper Alliance events as needed.
● Safeguard the confidentiality of departmental or office administration by exercising discretion in communicating information and handling of all departmental requests.
● Collaborate with development team members to accomplish the goals and objectives of the department.
● Participate in the creation of a written action plan that documents annual goals and objectives in development office and monitor progress throughout the year.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
● Knowledge of gift processing and stewardship policies including IRS regulations governing contributions to 501(c)(3) organizations, regulatory compliance, and database administration.
● Bachelor’s Degree with 3+ year experience
● Experience with Salesforce preferred.
● Ability to prioritize work and the flexibility to change directions as the job dictates.
● Ability to solve problems by selecting and applying commonly used procedures, precedents, and rules.
● Ability to work under pressure and maintain quality of detailed work while meeting deadlines.
● Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness and attention to detail.
● Ability to communicate effectively with various types of people.
● Possesses superior communications skills (written and oral) to communicate directly with donors and external/internal stakeholders.
Job type: Full time
Compensation: Competitive non-profit salary, commensurate with experience; excellent
Start date: July 2018 Applications:
Send cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com.
Waterkeeper Alliance is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Waterkeeper is a registered trademark of Waterkeeper Alliance, Inc.
Competitive non-profit salary, commensurate with experience; excellent benefits package.
Minimum Education Required