Employment Specialist (note this is not a Human Resources position)
- Job posted by St. John's Community Services - PA
We are searching for a creative problem solver who enjoys making interpersonal connections and using their skills to support job seekers with complex barriers to employment. Our work includes a balance of being part of a creative and supportive team while working independently in the community. An Employment Specialist’s typical work includes activities with job seekers/holders; connecting with potential employers; documenting activities in an electronic records system; responsive communication in person, via email, phone call and/or text message; being positive and supportive to people who may be experiencing varying levels of frustration and challenges in their lives.
The work involves getting to know job seekers, what they are good at and where their abilities would be most valued. This information is essential in helping to make meaningful connections with small businesses and to help the job seeker gain employment. Once employment has been secured, additional on-the-job and/or other work supports are provided as needed. Employment Specialists can expect to spend most of their time in the community, with access to an office available. Schedule is full time but flexible as they are primarily based on the needs of job seekers/holders.
- A High School Diploma or GED; A.A or B.A. is preferred
- Bilingual candidates preferred
- Familiarity with the lived experiences of people we serve is preferred. (Currently, we serve Middle and High School students, TANF recipients, Social Security Benefit recipients, people with limited income or a criminal background history, a disability, or are experiencing homelessness.)
- Work experience of two or more years is required; arts, marketing or sales background and/or active participation in the community (such as business/professional groups, religious congregations, sports teams, Rotary Club, etc.) preferred
- Applicants must have a current state issued driver's license and access to a personal vehicle
- Applicants must have a clean driving record as well as ability to meet our funder’s criminal history/background check standards. SJCS does this in accordance with Philadelphia’s Fair Chance Hiring Law
This is a benefits eligible position including paid time off, and access to medical, vision and dental insurance.
Minimum Education Required