CRE is committed to building a culturally diverse team and strongly encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Reporting to and partnering with the President and CEO, the Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) plays a strategic leadership role at CRE, responsible for effective internal operations and planning. The DFO oversees CRE’s core functions of Finance, Human Resources, and Operations including IT. S/he will partner closely with the CEO and Management team to develop CRE’s overall strategic vision and develop clear priorities to achieve stated goals.
The DFO is a self-starter who takes initiative on internal operational matters. A member of the Management Team, this person shares responsibility for the overall leadership of CRE. This includes proactively identifying organizational opportunities and challenges, and implementing creative solutions. The DFO also will exemplify and promote CRE’s core values and mission of reducing poverty, promoting equity, and increasing opportunity.
The DFO will lead all financial administration, business planning, and budgeting, as well as human resources administration and talent management, along with operations. As part of this, this position will work closely with two motivated and engaged Board Committees – the Finance and HR committees. The DFO will support and lead five direct reports to fulfill the specific responsibilities outlined below:
Financial Management and Oversight: The DFO leads and oversees the Finance function at CRE to ensure sustainable operations, effective program delivery, and compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. Working with the Finance Team, this includes:
- Lead financial planning and organizational budgeting processes, including overseeing budget implementation, long-term planning, and cost management
- Prepare financial statements in an accurate and timely manner
- Staff the Board Finance/Audit Committee and related quarterly meetings
- Coordinate all audit activities, including the annual audit and 990 processes
- Provide guidance and oversight to program and development staff in preparing, monitoring, and reporting on program and project budgets
- Ensure that data and timely reports are available to help managers supervise staff and projects in an expedient and financially stable way
- Oversee contract management to ensure optimization of contracts, fulfillment of requirements, and compliance with contract reporting
- Provide oversight for CRE’s accounting function and monitor use of all funds; manage, review, and improve all financial and business policies
Human Resources (HR): Working with the People Operations Manager, the DFO ensures excellent talent management strategies, from HR to talent management, to ensure CRE continues to be a great place to work. This includes:
- Foster an organizational culture that attracts and motivates an exemplary, diverse staff; supports their growth and development; and enables collaboration, continuous learning, and high performance
- Ensure that policies, practices and procedures support CRE’s growing team and are compliant with legislation and policy
- Evaluate, negotiate and oversee all staff benefits
- Supervise payroll and oversee statutory benefits to ensure compliance
- Staff the HR Committee of the Board
- Provide guidance to managers and staff on personnel issues as they arise
- Take on special projects as needed at the staff or Board Committee level
Operations: The DFO oversees administration, technology, and facilities for CRE, ensuring smooth daily operations and managing key elements of CRE’s risk profile. Key responsibilities include:
- Oversee the effective use of CRE’s IT and data management systems to support programs and operations, organizational reporting, and management while planning for future needs
- Working with technology service providers, ensure the ongoing maintenance and improvement of information systems and infrastructure
- Ensure reliable reporting of key organizational performance indicators (KPIs) to inform the Board and support strong management across all teams/functions
- Oversee facilities and Conference Center operations
- Oversee legal activities such as: letters of agreement, contracts, leases, and other legal documents/agreements
- Supervise procurement, including managing and monitoring business insurance
Qualifications: The DFO will be a seasoned and mature leader with experience managing finance (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting), HR, and operations, including IT. The DFO will have the following experience and attributes:
- BA with a relevant advanced degree (MBA, MPA, MS in Accounting); CPA a plus
- At least eight years of experience, including financial leadership
- Mature and proactive; management team level experience a plus
- Strong analytical skills; able to interpret a strategic vision into an operational model
- Ability to prioritize and focus effectively across a wide range of responsibilities
- Possesses technical knowledge of finance, financial planning, and accounting
- Experience with contract management in a nonprofit environment
- Experience overseeing human resources and daily operations
- Strong team leader and people manager who supports and develops direct reports, helping them achieve a sustained high level of performance
- A collaborative and flexible work style, with a strong service mentality
- An effective communicator, with strong verbal and written skills
- Demonstrated commitment to the social sector with a passion for CRE’s mission
Competitive salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate "Director of Finance and Operations" in the subject line.
CRE is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act.